Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems,Problems and more Problems - Any help Appretiated!

This is a discussion on Problems,Problems and more Problems - Any help Appretiated! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Greetings one and all! I am the latest refugee to join the world of Sky broadband, and already i am ...

Kaoscontrol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Problems,Problems and more Problems - Any help Appretiated!

Greetings one and all!

I am the latest refugee to join the world of Sky broadband, and already i am facing problems that i was hoping someone or ANYONE could help me address and figure out!

My family have recently changed from AOL 8MB to Sky broadband Max,mainly to save a few pennys really! (26 + 30 reduced to just 30 is a nice saving i must say)

at first i was happy with the service, Router arrived within a week, (thankfully not the 6 months wait i've heard many have waited) The Line was changed to Sky on the date set within 5 hours, so thankfully we wernt left without the internet for too long.

since really everything has gone WAAAY down hill. the first was not being informed we had to actually sign up to Sky.com before we can access the e-mail account, which is FAIRLY stupid in my honest opinion as you are given a username and password which like myself you expect you can just login automatically as there is NO where that says you have to sign up.

Anyways! that problem was resolved, but more and more problems have cropped up!

The internet is more than stupidly slow!! 99% of websites will not load first time! they have to be refreshed, and even then i am given the white loading screen of doom which will not vanish untill refreshed Multipul times, and then it only loads when it wants to.

MSN randomly dies and messages just randomly dont appear to the other person.also files which use to take...say 7 minutes to download from other users....well if i left them to run without a doubt would take several hours.

also the internet will just randomly stop working.

as you can probably tell from what i am saying it is VERY VERY SLOW

Hotmail will not load my e-mails all i get is the toolbar (New,Reply,Forward etc)
      Photobucket will NOT load Full stop!
      This website took a good 10 minutes to load this box for me to type in and took even longer for all of the buttons at the top of the page to load.

everything just isn't working how it should in my honest opinion

AOL worked a hell of alot better at half the speed, Hotmail worked,Msn went without a hitch everything worked very nicely.

can anyone with the information above help me in anyway possible? i am quickly losing my faith in SKY and i've been with them 2 weeks.

Many Thanks
      James

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Problems,Problems and more Problems - Any help Appretiated!

The internet is more than stupidly slow!! 99% of websites will not load first time! they have to be refreshed, and even then i am given the white loading screen of doom which will not vanish untill refreshed Multipul times, and then it only loads when it wants to.
      Try opening IE and going to the top and clicking on Tools, Internet Options, Connections.

Make sure Never dial a connection is ticked, then click on Lan Settings, Make sure the top 2 tick boxes are unticked, and also no tick in Use a Proxy Server.

Click OK and then OK, close IE and then reopen and see if that helps.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK now as I havent seen your precise case I can't be sure of course but from what you have said, I can tell you what makes sense.

The email thing, all they mean is use your username and password to sign in at sky.com and complete your profile, you're not signing up for anything else really.

As for the speed issue, it sounds like your line has been set for 16 Meg and cant take it, so a lot of the data ends up as garbage, which is why it takes so long for pages to load as the data has to be resent over and over. After a while of crap data "clogging up" the line, the connection will drop and you'll have to reconnect. To solve that you need to get your line capped down to what it can take.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with what oneiros is saying but before you go ringing sky to get your line capped I suggest you check your internal wiring. Use this utility to get your full router stats ( from the test socket ) and post them here - someone will advise

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

cheers dave

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Try opening IE and going to the top and clicking on Tools, Internet Options, Connections.

Make sure Never dial a connection is ticked, then click on Lan Settings, Make sure the top 2 tick boxes are unticked, and also no tick in Use a Proxy Server.

Click OK and then OK, close IE and then reopen and see if that helps.
      all of this that you mentioned was already done so i am afraid this did not help atall!

as for what Oneiros has said....oddly enough! this is a conclusion that i have come to....although i'm nowhere near a technological geniouse i just thought prehaps i was being something of a numpty and trying to make myself sound smart.

and also i HOPE these are the correct statistics that Dholdi was talking about as i did not actually understand how to use this utility

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 15323 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.4 13.0
      Attn(dB): 23.5 12.5
      Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 16424 864
      Rate (Kbps): 15323 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 59 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4980 7.7037
      L: 4096 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 38399774 38399772
      SFErr: 37604384 8
      RS: 697003414 326398062
      RSCorr: 244720927 262
      RSUnCorr: 256675666 0

HEC: 37750004 7
      OCD: 14784460 0
      LCD: 490 0
      Total Cells: 4291779170 1102632509
      Data Cells: 22561952 5679906
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 611548 7
      SES: 609779 0
      UAS: 14 21
      Total time = 1 days 4 hours 39 min 58 sec
      SF = 38399774
      CRC = 37604384
      LOS = 521
      LOF = 0
      ES = 611548
      Latest 1 day time = 4 hours 39 min 58 sec
      SF = 1037751
      CRC = 1033703
      LOS = 22
      LOF = 0
      ES = 16750
      Latest 15 minutes time = 9 min 58 sec
      SF = 36937
      CRC = 36791
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 598
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 55370
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 900
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5337618
      CRC = 5316799
      LOS = 54
      LOF = 0
      ES = 86169
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 55377
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 900
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55590
      CRC = 55343
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 900
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55591
      CRC = 55374
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 900
      Last edited by Kaoscontrol; 23-04-07 at 01:44 AM.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

CRC = 37604384
      LOS = 521
      LOF = 0
      ES = 611548

I think this may be the problem, are they from the test socket ? I suspect not - check out the cabling / faceplate section of the site - will check back tommorrow to see how you get on
      cheers
      dave

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Whoah, a whole load of errors there.

As dholdi said, check out the cabling & faceplate forum - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/.

Try your router using the test socket (*behind* the faceplate on the BT Master - assuming you have a modern NTE5 master with a removable lower front half).

If that works better, with fewer errors, etc., then the problem most likely lies with your own internal phone wiring (not Sky).

You can then try & improve that, e.g. remove the ring wire, get a filtered faceplate (e.g. ADSLNation XTE-2005), etc. All covered in the cabling/faceplate forum.

EDIT:

Also, lots of info here -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
      AOL worked a hell of alot better at half the speed, Hotmail worked,Msn went without a hitch everything worked very nicely.

Slower speed - higher noise margin, less errors, more stability.

If AOL did "up to 16mbps" LLU, & you had that instead of Sky, you'd probably have similar problems.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 23-04-07 at 02:41 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

And now i'm going to invent more problems for you i'm afraid!!

at first i didnt understand what dholdi meant by 'Test socket' pressuming it was something online to do with the router at first. then in his second post when he mentioned faceplate etc it Clicked! you meant a Phoneline Test socket i.e one inside a Phoneline socket.

well heres my next problem!

we don't actually have a modern NTES master socket!

we still have an old square phone socket which everything is plugged into. and if i'm not mistaken its the one we had orignaly when we first moved into this house....10 years ago i believe. so we're still behind the times.

The report i gave as stated above came from me simply doing it wirelessly through my router which is situated downstairs (not that it matters lol) which is connected to this phoneline box, and then simply followed the instuctions on the utility doing Router Status and Username+password.

in all honesty i cannot see it being the wiring as for 9 years it has functioned fine with AOL with no speed loss,nor any problems.

But heck! what do i know it could quiet easily be something as simple as that!

Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having seen your stats I can confirm that there is a config issue. Basically it looks like you have been connected to a port that was previously setup for another part of Easynets business and so you do need to get it reconfigured.

Wiring may of course still be an issue but even if you had any wiring issues resolved you would still need to get your configuration changed, which means you need to speak to Tier 3.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoscontrol View Post
      And now i'm going to invent more problems for you i'm afraid!!

at first i didnt understand what dholdi meant by 'Test socket' pressuming it was something online to do with the router at first. then in his second post when he mentioned faceplate etc it Clicked! you meant a Phoneline Test socket i.e one inside a Phoneline socket.

well heres my next problem!

we don't actually have a modern NTES master socket!

we still have an old square phone socket which everything is plugged into. and if i'm not mistaken its the one we had orignaly when we first moved into this house....10 years ago i believe. so we're still behind the times.

The report i gave as stated above came from me simply doing it wirelessly through my router which is situated downstairs (not that it matters lol) which is connected to this phoneline box, and then simply followed the instuctions on the utility doing Router Status and Username+password.

in all honesty i cannot see it being the wiring as for 9 years it has functioned fine with AOL with no speed loss,nor any problems.

But heck! what do i know it could quiet easily be something as simple as that!
      The fact that AOL worked ok is of no relavance I'm afraid! I had exactly the same problem as you, my previous BT 2mb connection worked fine but as soon as I joined SKy my problems started and mirrored your issues. After swearing at Sky and the router for 3 month's putting up with slow speeds and disconnections I eventually found the problem was my wiring, basically it didn't like Skys faster speeds, sorted the wiring everything fine now.
      I would suggest plugging into your master socket and disconnecting any extension wires coming from box obviously making a note of where the wires come from. Then run for a while and see if things improve. My issue was the ring/bell wire disconnected that in all the extension boxs cured the problem completely and all the phones still ring ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast