Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cancel Contract?

This is a discussion on Cancel Contract? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been a Sky (TV) subscriber for 5 years, had Sky+ for 2 years, and SkyBB for 3 months. ...

Cralis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancel Contract?

I have been a Sky (TV) subscriber for 5 years, had Sky+ for 2 years, and SkyBB for 3 months.

I have been offered a great job in South Africa which I want to take. Can I cancel my contract? If not, can I pay the 5 for the remaining 9 months up front?

If not, how do I get out?
      -That's not actually me in that photo on my profile-

http://www.myschoolmates.com/

2. Advertisement
      greenwich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cancel Contract?

The Sky T&Cs, if I remember correctly, say something about phoning them if you want to discuss breaking your contract before the year is up. So just ring them and they should tell you the answer.

The worst that can happen is that you will have to pay them the 45. Don't let them charge you more. Legally, when you break a contract, the other party can only claim from you the amount they've lost by your breach. In Sky's case that's 45 (and falling by a fiver with every month that goes by). Do not let them charge you any kind of "admin fee" - the 45 damages for breach of contract is all they're entitled to.

This also means that, legally, anyone like me who's on the free Base broadband can walk away without paying anything to Sky, though I'm hoping not to need to put that to the test.

Cralis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunfermline
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. I'll need top give them a call. I'm just worried that they are going to pin me with something like, 'When you signed up to Sky BB, you automatically commited to a 12 month renewal of your Sky+....'
      -That's not actually me in that photo on my profile-

http://www.myschoolmates.com/

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You're well past the minimum term for Sky TV. There's nothing in Sky Broadband's T&Cs which extends your Sky TV contract by even a single day. So you can cancel the Sky TV contract right now without being in breach of it. You then cancel your Sky Broadband contract, which puts you in breach of that only, and just pay them the 45 as damages for the breach. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

dazza1064 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shirley southampton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

what happens when you have only had it (bb) for a month and only had it working for about 6 days tops??

when i phoned to try and cancel, i was told i couldnt do it over the phone and i could email them or write to them

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazza1064 View Post
      what happens when you have only had it (bb) for a month and only had it working for about 6 days tops??

when i phoned to try and cancel, i was told i couldnt do it over the phone and i could email them or write to them
      The call centre person may only have been trained to deal with cancellations within the 8 day cooling off period. Your right to cancel is now not governed by your contract with Sky but by English law. To cancel now you would have to say that the service from Sky was not of satisfactory quality and therefore against the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982. From what you say, it certainly sounds like that.

Have a read of this first:
      http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact...page38337.html

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
      I have been a Sky (TV) subscriber for 5 years, had Sky+ for 2 years, and SkyBB for 3 months.

I have been offered a great job in South Africa which I want to take. Can I cancel my contract? If not, can I pay the 5 for the remaining 9 months up front?

If not, how do I get out?
      When you sign up to Sky Broadband, you have to stay with them for 12 months minimum, I was told that this also renews your TV contract for 12 months. - However not confirmed

However, I am sure that your part of the contract is to pay for it for 12 months, and Sky's part is to provide it for 12 months. But, being in South Africa, Sky cannot provide it for you.

So hopefully, between the both of you, you can resolve this amicably. Good luck if you decide to move and give the job a go. Let us know how you get on with Sky.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 21-04-07 at 09:03 PM. Reason: changed I was told that this also renews your TV contract for 12 months. - However not confirmed

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dazza1064 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shirley southampton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenwich View Post
      The call centre person may only have been trained to deal with cancellations within the 8 day cooling off period. Your right to cancel is now not governed by your contract with Sky but by English law. To cancel now you would have to say that the service from Sky was not of satisfactory quality and therefore against the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982. From what you say, it certainly sounds like that.

Have a read of this first:
      http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact...page38337.html
      thanks

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      When you sign up to Sky Broadband, you have to stay with them for 12 months minimum, this also renews your TV contract for 12
      No, NewsreadeR, that's not correct. I re-read the T&Cs today and there is nothing in there that extends your TV contract. They say that to get the boradband you have to be a Sky TV customer. That means that if you cease your TV contract, Sky are entitled to stop providing you the broadband (but still entitled to charge you for the broadband). But that's it. It does not mean that you're committed to keeping Sky TV for 12 months.

EDIT: condition 11 (b) of the T&Cs is what I was referring to above. It says: "This Contract will end if your Sky TV Contract ends for any reason. If this occurs during your Minimum Term then, unless you are ending your Sky TV Contract for breach, you will be in breach of this Contract."

So, as I say, you are still free to end your Sky TV contract. It may place you in breach of the broadband contract, but that's it, and the only damages you are liable to pay are the monthly broadband fees up to the end of the 12 months. (Which is, er, 0 for those of us on Base. )
      Last edited by greenwich; 21-04-07 at 09:01 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think I have to agree with you there, however when I rang to try and cancel and blag a Sky+ Box I was told categorically that my TV contract had been renewed at point of delivery of the Broadband.

But like you say, as long as you are a subscriber to TV then you can have the broadband. So there may be a way out here for the OP.

You must be an active Sky TV subscriber at all times during this Contract. If your Sky TV
      Contract ends or your viewing is suspended, Sky Broadband may be too (Conditions 1(c)
      and 11(b)).
      The Sky Broadband Product you have chosen is for a minimum of 12 calendar months
      from the date your telephone line is first activated by BT to receive Sky Broadband (the
      Minimum Term), unless you or we are allowed to end it earlier (Condition 11).

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast