Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

IP address question

This is a discussion on IP address question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; [I'm asking this here because the other forums don't get so many visitors. Hope that's OK.] If I connect both ...

greenwich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IP address question

[I'm asking this here because the other forums don't get so many visitors. Hope that's OK.]

If I connect both my PC and the laptop to the net via my router, they both get the same IP address. This has got me puzzled.

Suppose I installed a web server on both the PC and the laptop and put a different index.html page on each. If you then type my IP address into your browser, which web server would process that HTTP request, i.e. which of my two index.html pages would you see?

2. Advertisement
      Oneiros is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ESFAL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: IP address question

The router is the one with the real IP address. The computers connect to the net via the router, so they end up appearing the same to anyone outside of the home network.

If you really want to set up a webserver on your home PC then you would need to set up port forwarding to the computer with the server/pages on it.

But as Sky doesnt supply static IPs it's kind of a moot discussion.

H0OPERS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Its like NTL, if you want an extra IP address you have to pay for an extra one, rip off... when i tried to connect my xbox it wouldnt share the same IP if i had my p on at same time, unless theres someway of fixing that i dont know, but sky must be like that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

my xbox it wouldnt share the same IP if i had my p on at same time
      I do not have a Xbox, but if this was the case, surely others would have brought this up. The Xbox works with an NIC, which would have it's address allocated by the router, the same as any PC which may be connected. Some types of cable are/were different in that they would not allow more than one PC to be connected. This may have changed now, but it is not the case with Sky.

mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The one that you would see would depend on the port forwarding options you set up in the router configuration. It allows you to "forward" a port from your external ip (the one sky issues you) to the internal ip of either your computer or your laptop (they would probably be in the form 192.168.0.somthing). For a web server you would generaly forward port 80 (this is the default port for a web server).

About the xbox, it should be issued with an internal IP address just the same as your PC(s). There should be no reason for only one to work at once. There is also no reason to have two external IP addresses. Im not sure if you have to forward any ports for xbox live, have a look on google...
      Last edited by mrmt32; 21-04-07 at 04:23 PM.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H0OPERS View Post
      Its like NTL, if you want an extra IP address you have to pay for an extra one, rip off... when i tried to connect my xbox it wouldnt share the same IP if i had my p on at same time, unless theres someway of fixing that i dont know, but sky must be like that.

Virtually all ISPs are like that. You only ever get one single IP address.

The only way to connect more than one device (PC, Xbox, whatever) at the same time is to use a router (or Internet Connection Sharing).

ntl used to do a "Broadband & Console Service" which gave you a 2nd IP so you could connect an Xbox/PS2/etc. at the same time as your PC, without the need for a router. However, it was a bit of a rip-off, as it cost the same as just buying a router (but spread over a year). They dropped it eventually. Far far better to just use a router (which is what I always did anyway when I had ntl... never wasted money on the stupid console service).

As you get a router with Sky, it's not a problem. My PC, Xbox360, Xbox, Wii & laptop have no issues using the net via the Sky router.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 21-04-07 at 04:33 PM.