Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Only getting 4mbps on Max package. Help required !

This is a discussion on Only getting 4mbps on Max package. Help required ! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can't try the line downstairs as I cant move my router and PC down. Until you try that to see ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Only getting 4mbps on Max package. Help required !

Can't try the line downstairs as I cant move my router and PC down.
      Until you try that to see if the speed is better, there is nothing anyone can do.

Your router syncs at the highest possible speed that your line should be stable. Ringing Sky would be pointless, unless you can prove to them that your line would support higher than what you have at the moment. But without ruling all the factors out you are going to be struggling.

By testing the other socket you are ruling out any potential wiring problems which could be between that socket and the one upstairs. I know its a pain but I would suggest that you do try and make the effort to determine this, but that is entirely your call.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Chi
      Chi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK, I will try that out tomorrow. I am going to connect the router downstairs, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the master socket, as it doesn't look like the one you showed me in the link. I only know of two phone lines in this house.

Are there any other ways of identifying a master socket?

Also I think it might be nice to add that my Noise Margin has dropped from 7.0 to about 4.0 from this afternoon.

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Do your lines come into the house overhead from a telegraph pole or does it come in from underground?

If it's from a telegraph pole you can follow the wire where it comes from the pole to the house and then to the point where it goes into a hole in the brickwork. Usually the master socket is directly on the other side (inside) where the wire goes through. If it comes in from underground then there is usually some kind of trunking that goes up the outside wall from the ground (the wires are behind this). Again, the master socket is directly on the other side inside the house.

Chi
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

THanks for your reply.

I'll have to look for it tomorrow when theres abit more extra light.

After using that Mognuts router utiliy 0.4, I set it to 8db noise margin, and now I'm getting 9.something noise margin.

Also, it says that my routers synching at 4446kbps down rate from my router page. Is this the max speed my exchange can take?

Chi
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I finally fount out where the telephone cables comes in from, it comes over head, and it basically comes into the house, and splits into two seperate cable lines, which eventually leads to two telephone boxes, one downstairs, one upstairs. No master sockets, or any sockets in that shame or form are found. Both boxes look exactly the same, the phones for the other rooms are connected via extension. I'm 100% positive a master socket that looks like the one linked is not present in this house. It's a old house.

When it comes in from outside though, theres a little brown box, where the two cables that leads to the telephone boxes come from.

Cany anyone shed some light? I know its a big ask, and a feckin pain.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
      Got activated with Sky today, for the Max package, however, I'm only getting 4mbps.

My line attenuation is 43db, and noise margin around 7.

Can anyone help me out here?

Have a read of this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

With an attenuation of 43dB, you should get around twice the sync speed you currently have...subject to noise margin.

Your current speed is unlikely to be Sky's fault...your noise margin is poor & the most likely culprit is your own phone wiring.

As it sounds like you don't have an NTE5 master with a test socket, I'm not sure what you can do. You could probably still try & find & disconnect the ring wire (orange wire with white bands, connects to terminal 3 on the IDC on the back of a modern master), as this can introduce a lot of noise, & is not needed.

However, may be better to wait for someone who knows about old sockets like yours.

Chi
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      Have a read of this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

With an attenuation of 43dB, you should get around twice the sync speed you currently have...subject to noise margin.

Your current speed is unlikely to be Sky's fault...your noise margin is poor & the most likely culprit is your own phone wiring.

As it sounds like you don't have an NTE5 master with a test socket, I'm not sure what you can do. You could probably still try & find & disconnect the ring wire (orange wire with white bands, connects to terminal 3 on the IDC on the back of a modern master), as this can introduce a lot of noise, & is not needed.

However, may be better to wait for someone who knows about old sockets like yours.
      I seem to be getting 43db, with about 8.4 noise margin now.

I would prefer not to mess with the phone wiring, as I have no clue what I am doing, and if its not broke, don't fix it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12