Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

does it take 3 days to switch to adsl2?

This is a discussion on does it take 3 days to switch to adsl2? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Got connected yesterday and I appear to be on the normal adsl1 broadband. (GDMT 992.1 Annex A I think it ...

jaytc2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lcath - Atherton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

does it take 3 days to switch to adsl2?

Got connected yesterday and I appear to be on the normal adsl1 broadband. (GDMT 992.1 Annex A I think it is)

I am syncing at 8190 downstream and 768 upstream so the sync speed is good, however I think my line is capable of a lot more.

I am approx 1.3km from the exchange give or take a few metres, and it is a brand new line that has just been put in. I moved to a new build property at the end of jan and bt had run out of capacity so they had to lay brand new cable underground which in total took just under 3 months for them to do.

My attenuation at present is 33 downstream and this is connected via a adslnation filtered faceplate on the master socket. House has 2 extra extensions but the faceplate filters out the adsl signal to the other extensions. Downstream SNR is 12-15db depending on time of day. I am using a speedtouch 585v6 which supports adsl2 and was trying to raise my sync speed by using the dmt tool that is available by lowering the SNR however the sync speed stays at 8190 and the SNR doesnt change so it seems like I am definately capped. The error count is very low/non existant

I rang sky broadband this morning and got through straight away to an irish girl, explained the above to her and she said it would take upto 3 days and it would automatically switch over. She confirmed this with a colleague.

Is this true or have I been spun a line?

Cheers for any replies
      James

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: does it take 3 days to switch to adsl2?

I am not sure and no doubt someone will come along who is more up to date and correct me but I have not heard of that before. A possible explanation could be that she has raised a ticket with tier 3 and the it will be around 3 days before they act on it? If so then it may be that they will just make the change and not call you.
      I know a few folks have signed up to Max and not been put on 2 but I am not sure as to why this has happened.

Sorry I can not help more

Magos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSRED
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had the same issue and phoned through in the early hours this morning, around 1:15am. I talked to a very helpful woman in tier 1 who put me through to tier 3 and it got sorted there and then. All in all the call lasted about 45 minutes, but I imagine that calling during normal hours would have just resulted in a ticket being raised and a 3-5 day wait.

jaytc2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lcath - Atherton
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I rang sky yesterday and managed to speak with tier 3, told him that I wasnt given the ticket number from the indian tier 1 lady and he said fine. Told him that I was maxing out on adsl and asked to be changed to adsl2. He did it whilst I was on the line and set me up on a 16mb profile. He ran some ping tests and other tests and said it was a good line as there were very few errors. Just need to get my router to sync higher now as it is syncing at just under 11000kbps some speeds tests show me getting over 1mbps downloads. Oh happy days!