Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Same SkyBB Logon Details in Two Routers

This is a discussion on Same SkyBB Logon Details in Two Routers within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My parent's are currently without a broadband connection after Sky screwed up with the delivery of their router (see this ...

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Same SkyBB Logon Details in Two Routers

My parent's are currently without a broadband connection after Sky screwed up with the delivery of their router (see this post) but it got me thinking of a possible "workaround".

My parents have a Linksys router which would work on the SkyBB connection if Sky was to tell them what the connection username and password are which they refuse to divulge. Now I already know that the "hidden" Sky broadband logon details can be extracted from the Netgear router fairly easily (see HERE). Obviously I can't get my parent's username and password as they don't yet have their router but I've already extracted these details from my own Sky router and I know they work because I tried them in a Linksys router I was previously using on my old BT Broadband connection.

The question is this:-

Does anyone know if Sky can actually detect if an account is logged onto by more than one router? I know this will almost certainly break the T&C of the contract but my thinking is that I could possibly put my Sky logon details into my parents Linksys router and get them temporarily connected under my account until Sky get their act together and supply the router which they agreed to do before switching my parents old BB connection off thus leaving them with no internet access.

Has anyone ever tried this or is it a completely stupid idea to even think about doing? Obviously I don't want to risk my account being terminated if there is a way for them to easily discover what is happening.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Same SkyBB Logon Details in Two Routers

Hi Gary

There was a thread a few days ago where a guy who had signed up for Sky, left but still had his router.

His friend's router had not turned up and he then obtained the router off this friend and plugged it in and away he went. As for doing what you are thinking, I would advise not to, as we do not want you to be the guy who reports back that you got kicked off.

There is only one way to find out what you are asking, but seriously I would just wait for the router to eventually arrive at your parents house, we do not know how sophisticated Sky's detection of duplicate MAC's on their network are.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks again NewsreadeR. Wise words. I think I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this one if they want

philbridges is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02380
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi Gary

There was a thread a few days ago where a guy who had signed up for Sky, left but still had his router.

His friend's router had not turned up and he then obtained the router off this friend and plugged it in and away he went.
      A nice thought but actually not possible I'd have thought as the user's username and password are pre-programmed into the router when Sky ship it, so it must have been using the lender's account info.

What Sky are doing makes a lot of sense, this way they only have to support one router which they can get to know about inside out, send out pre-programmed hot swaps etc. If you do change your router don't expect Sky to be able to hep you support it, you'll be on your own, and quite rightly so.

They've been very reasonable to date and not come down on anyone who uses a third party router (myself included), in fact they even sent me a very apologetic letter. My guess is that so long as the option is not abused hopefully we can continue to use third party routers of similar spec. Caveat emptor...
      Last edited by philbridges; 18-04-07 at 08:23 AM.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philbridges View Post
      A nice thought but actually not possible
      Do you know something we don't?

As far as I, and most other people on this site, are aware:

*BT lines are specific to the registered Sky user.
      *Router username and pass are specific to Sky only.

So a sky router will work with any BT line registered to a Sky BB user.

Although, that said, I still wouldn't advise having 2 routers using the same username and password at different addresses. That really would be asking for trouble.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my point exactly, as I mentioned previously ... "the user's username and password are pre-programmed into the router when Sky ship it"

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes the Sky router will work on any Sky broadband enabled line. But the guy who tried it previously had obtained his loan router from a friend who had cancelled his Sky account, so there was no chance of the same username and passwords being logged in at the same time at different locations. Which I agree would be asking for trouble.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am using a friends Sky router at the moment, with my own login details. I am still waiting on a replacement arriving. My friend is due back from holiday on Friday, so I hope it arrives soon. The 5th day, from when it was promised, is up today. If it does not arrive, I may be forced to use my old ST330, which I don't want to do, as it might be possible that it could lower my profile, as it syncs well below my normal speed. Unfortunately, I gave my son my Dlink, which was actually faster than the Netgear.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To Koala5 - Ah sorry, I didn't get the full picture, I guess he must have typed in his own username and password into his friend's sky router then and used it on his own line, yes of course it would work as would just about any ADSL router. Thanks for clearing that up, I thought it was a bit odd..

The 3 Shires is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barry
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philbridges View Post
      ....I guess he must have typed in his own username and password into his friend's sky router..
      How does that work then ??? Thought the user/pass were hard-wired into the Sky routers, so how would you change a friend's to have your user/pass ???

I can see how you could get a vanilla netgear router and enter your user/pass, but not a locked-down sky flavour router. Would you even need to - presumably the friend's sky router, with friend's user/pass, would still work on your sky line ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast