Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No Sky Router...No Broadband Connection :-(

This is a discussion on No Sky Router...No Broadband Connection :-( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello...this is my first post here and sadly like a lot of new users who probably initially come here, my ...

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

No Sky Router...No Broadband Connection :-(

Hello...this is my first post here and sadly like a lot of new users who probably initially come here, my story is one of frustration with the SkyBB customer service (or more accurately, complete lack of!!).

My parents ordered SkyBB a few weeks ago and were sent a letter with their details and activation date. Router was to follow, however this failed to turn up and with 4 days to go before the activation date my parents were getting concerend that the router hadn't arrived. They called up Sky customer services to find out where their router was to be told that someone had tried to deliver it but no-one was there to receive it so it had been returned. Hmmmm...likely story which raised a couple of interesting questions:-

1. Where was the calling card to say that someone had tried to deliver the package?
      2. If there really was no-one in to accept the parcel then why was the router returned back to Sky immediately? I know for a fact that Sky use ParcelForce to deliver their routers because that is how my own Sky router was delivered one week earlier (I wasn't in...they left a calling card and I collected from the post office). If a "registered" parcel cannot be delivered a calling card is always left and the parcel will be retained at the post office for at up to 3 weeks before being returned to the sender.

Therefore Sky are LIARS and the router was obviously never sent. Sky customer service being what they are could not (or should I say would not) give any explanation and just say it's not their problem and was the couriers fault. They did however agree to send out another one which would arrive within 5 days which was after the activation date

So the activation date arrived and my parents existing BT Broadband connection was cut off (that was last Tuesday...10th April). After 5 days still no router so my parents ring up SkyBB customer no-services again asking where their router is. The "helpful" operator insists that the router is in the post and will arrive in the next day or two (which should have been last Thursday at the latest).

Guess what...a week after being switched over to SkyBB and numerous phone calls to SkyBB customer liar-service they ring up yet again today and were told today that there was a problem with sending out of the router and they should now expect to recieve it within the next 10 days!!! Someone please tell me this is a wind-up I'm half expecting Jeremy Beadle to pop out the cupboard any moment with mic in hand.

I've never seen my dad so angry...he was so filled with rage that I actually thought he was going to have a heart-attack. He has now contacted trading standards and they have advised him to write a formal letter of complaint to them (trading standards) but all that just takes even more time when all they really want is their router and a broadband connection back.

Does anyone have any advice on what they can do to pile maximum pressure on SkyBB? I've told my parents to also contact Ofcom but I'm not sure if that will actually achieve anything. Sky just seem completely unconcerned about the whole thing and don't seem bothered in the slightest that they've left a customer without BB for a week already or the fact they have clearly messed up with delivery of the router. They won't even send out a router by next day delivery which IMO they should do as a matter of priority seeing as it was they who have screwed up big time. My parents have asked to speak to someone in authority numerous times only to be told "sorry, the supervisor is busy at the moment". Yeah...I bet he is...probably dealing with the other customer screw-ups...or hiding in a toilet somewhere.

I've never heard of such an amaterish setup in all my life. The whole thing is a complete shambles and it certainly doesn't inpire any confidence whatsoever. I've only just signed up to SkyBB myself (luckily with no such router supply problems) but I'm now beginning to wonder what I've got myself into. I hope to god that I never experience any technical difficulties with my BB connection because I know for a fact that Sky will have no clue what to do about it.

Sorry for such a long first post (read: RANT) but any advice on how to try and resolve this situation greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: No Sky Router...No Broadband Connection :-(

Hi

Sorry to hear bad news.

Do you know which package your Parents signed up for?

Normally if they signed up to Connect the router is not despatched until after the line has been connected. Why I do not know and it does not make sense, and also causes stress.

You could try the BT order tracker to make sure that the line is connected and also its a case of waiting for it, I am afraid.

If on Base, Mid or Max, the router normally gets delivered before the activation date, so if one of these products, it looks like something has gone wrong.

Not what you want to hear, but that's how things are.

Link to BT order tracker, you will need to have an account with BT so I would presume you will have to use your parent's details.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/wiki/index....Order_tracking

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

GaryM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Didcot
      Router: Netgear DGN1000
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks NewsreadeR. They're on the Mid package so they should have got their router before the switchover occurred but obviously they didn't due to the incompetencies of Sky.

I'll get them to check the BT tracker but I'm assuming the SkyBB is actually activated because their BT Broadband connection stopped working on the day that Sky said their SkyBB connection would become available. It's about the only thing that Sky have actually got right so far...unfortunately in this instance because it would have been better if they'd got that wrong and my parents still had their old BT Broadband connection working.

Well I guess they will just have to wait around.

I did have another thought about a "workaround" but I'll post a new thread with my question about that.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Get your parents to check the BT order status thingy, and maybe post the entries excluding personal details, then we can confirm if the line takeover has happened.

Also, I would suggest that you get them to ring CS and explain calmly the disappointment etc, and the lack of broadband. When I was trying to connect to Sky I also had the run around. I calmly rang Sky CS and managed to get a credit for a month of Broadband and also my TV.

Sky are overwhelmed with new signups, it's not an excuse, they should have foresaw the popularity and took on more staff, even Stevie Wonder could have seen that this was an offer too good to be true.

Good luck and keep us informed, and tell your Dad not to get too upset and spend some time with his missus. I had to when I had no broadband.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser