Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New and need advice!!

This is a discussion on New and need advice!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been wanting to take advantage of Sky BB for awhile. I can't get cable where I live and ...

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question New and need advice!!

I have been wanting to take advantage of Sky BB for awhile. I can't get cable where I live and after '5' years of AOL (more like hell) came across this website about 6 months ago while researching about potential teething problems that Sky might be having with their new BB service.
      I was really put off by the experiences that other people were having and as I would be locked into a 12m contract I did not want another negative long term experience.

It's because of this excellent forum that I am now willing to take the plunge because of the support available (keep up the great work).

I kinda accidentally cancelled AOL yesterday. I called up for a MAC code but asked what was the quickest way to get my line cleared (as I was under the impression that SKY did not except LLU MAC codes) AOL said they would cancel my account immediately, which they did and left me without a way to connect (I have no dial up facillities) I'm posting now because I'm logged on as a guest on my sisters AOL account (at my home) as the DSL is not due to cease until this friday 20 April.
      I will then call Sky and order BB, {freephone anyone; } who contacted me last Nov to sign up as my exchange has been LLU'ed since Aug I believe.

I am approx 490m from my exchange and I would like to know if I should go for MAX and have BB installed by sky or do it myself?
      I was on AOL silver at 17.99 a month and did notice at times that the pages loaded much slower.

I would also like to know if I can have my PC wired to Skys router and my laptop connected wirelessly at the same time?

And for you who have taken the plunge as well is it worth it?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: New and need advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
      I would also like to know if I can have my PC wired to Skys router and my laptop connected wirelessly at the same time?
      Yes

And for you who have taken the plunge as well is it worth it?
      imho Well worth the little I pay!

I would like to know if I should go for MAX and have BB installed by sky or do it myself?
      The distance you are from the exchange - I would, install it yourself as it is really easy and if you get stuck, we will all help, although it is free install on MAX anyway.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: New and need advice!!

Thank you NewsreadeR for that reply, I'm totally willing to install myself.

When Sky eventually send me my router how would I initially get online if I do not use the CD to install?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

You do not need the CD.

Normally, as long as your PC has a working network card / NIC / Ethernet card, all you will do is plug the router into the PC via the previous and then into the phoneline. All the leads you need come with the router.

Once it is plugged in you would just click on the Internet Explorer Icon or Firefox - whichever browser you have installed.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The router skuy send out is already set up. All you have to do is plug it in and it works.
      What speed you need, well, that depends on what you intend to do.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: New and need advice!!

Just been looking around the forum making notes in case of any potential probs.
      My DSL is due to go off tomorrow so it will be dial-up (if I find a ISP) or Internet Cafe, until I get Sky BB activated.
      The reason I asked if I should get Max or Mid is because I intend to eventually have more then 2 pc's networked for the internet and was under the impression that the more pc's networked the slower your connection.
      If I get Max will I be able to attain the high speeds Sky suggest, or is it based on certains factors like distance from exchange? What actualy helps you the get maximum speed? Please can someone explain, what capping is?

Also should I order Sky BB online, has anyone found this method quicker?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but as I will no longer have BB at my fingertips I need to find out as much as I can ahead of time.

Thanx.

mindwipe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: seacroft,Leeds
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Samsung Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
      Just been looking around the forum making notes in case of any potential probs.
      My DSL is due to go off tomorrow so it will be dial-up (if I find a ISP) or Internet Cafe, until I get Sky BB activated.
      The reason I asked if I should get Max or Mid is because I intend to eventually have more then 2 pc's networked for the internet and was under the impression that the more pc's networked the slower your connection.
      If I get Max will I be able to attain the high speeds Sky suggest, or is it based on certains factors like distance from exchange? What actualy helps you the get maximum speed? Please can someone explain, what capping is?

Also should I order Sky BB online, has anyone found this method quicker?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but as I will no longer have BB at my fingertips I need to find out as much as I can ahead of time.

Thanx.
      have ordered mine online last week(thursday)
      my router arrived yesterday
      letter came today saying next monday for activation (or if delayed within 3 days)
      so far i am impressed
      looking forward to my escape from pipex

mindwipe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: seacroft,Leeds
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Samsung Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindwipe View Post
      have ordered mine online last week(thursday)
      my router arrived yesterday
      letter came today saying next monday for activation (or if delayed within 3 days)
      so far i am impressed
      looking forward to my escape from pipex
      sorry forgot to say i went for max as i have my pc plus 3 kids pcs online(all networked via wire)
      and when mine is offline i will access with my other pc a laptop via wireless (garden!)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bit worried , just phoned Sky to ask for a check on my line and the system they do the check on says my line is incompatible (but not because BB is on it already). It is a BT line and I have BB now the CS agent I spoke to was not in sales but sounded very confused himself. I'm on the same exchange as Wheelie, the only thing left for me to do now is wait until my line marker is cleared and hope that's the reason why it appears to be incompatible at present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast