Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Regrade - Can BskyB Do This ?

This is a discussion on Regrade - Can BskyB Do This ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently with Nildram on a 512K fixed DSL package. I live in a semi rural location and the ...

Flange87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Biddulph
      Broadband ISP: Nildram
      Sky TV:

Regrade - Can BskyB Do This ?

I am currently with Nildram on a 512K fixed DSL package. I live in a semi rural location and the distance to my exchange is quite far. Despite the BT/UK Online checker telling me that I can receive upto 2Mbps, the truth is anything more than 512kbps results in disconnections, packet loss and general slowdowns - this is known from experience with two other ISPs.

Beside a crappy DSL connection I also can't watch terrestial tv, this is one of the reasons I want to move to BskyB and I might aswell get the broadband thrown in too.

Now I believe I will be put onto a MAX package and I can envisage my instability coming back to my DSL connection. If I ask BskyB to regrade the MAX connection to 512kbps will they do it (troublefree)? Some people may argue that the MAX package will train to 512kbps. That's fine but I don't want to find out that my line conditions are worse than expected and end up with 256kps or less. 512kbps for me works.

I also had a requirement for web space, but a user from an earlier post said that this is not available yet. My domain names are been sold anyway so I don't really need it but it would be nice if anyone knows whether this is going to change in the future ?

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:

Re: Regrade - Can BskyB Do This ?

I have done a check on your exchange and it is Sky/Easynet enabled which means you will be able to pick which package you get. If you are not worried about having a huge download limit I would suggest going for base which has a speed of up to 2mb and a monthly download limit of 2gb. Or if you need more download then go for Mid which 8mb with a download limit of 40gb. Base is free with any Sky TV package Mid is 5 a month. There will be no point going for Max if you are miles from the exchange. The connection should train itself for the best speed against reliabilty.
      Hope this helps.