Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help me diagnose this

This is a discussion on Please help me diagnose this within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; After ups and downs with Sky (which I've described before), I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the ...

greenwich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please help me diagnose this

After ups and downs with Sky (which I've described before), I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the current situation:

* Sky connection working fine for the last 10-12 days, using my old Linksys router (because the Sky one kept dropping the connection)

* Since last night, my Linksys router can't connect at all to Sky

* The Sky router lets me have a few minutes of service but then drops the connection. Sometimes rebooting the router brings the connection back immediately, sometimes it takes a few minutes of waiting

* Speeds are fine when I'm connected

* Sky technical support say it must be my phone extension lead or the phone cable or the ethernet cable or the microfilter that's the problem. They tell me to plug the router into the master BT socket downstairs and try that. I've told them that broadband has been working fine with my previous IPS for years, using the same extension lead upstairs, but that doesn't cut any ice with them

* I've switched UpnP off and on - makes no difference

Can someone help me understand what could be wrong. Why doesn't my Linksys router connect at all now, when the Sky router sometimes can?

TIA.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Please help me diagnose this

It is still worth trying the test socket, My previous BT 2mb connection worked fine plugged into an extension but when I went when Sky on 8mb plugged into the same connection I ran into problems! "disconnects etc" and it indeed ended up being caused by the wiring, it just couldn't handle the faster speed! Also try putting your Sky router back on for a few hours and extract your detailed stats using this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and post them on here, it will show condition of line errors etc and may show up some problem.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks. I reset the router to the factory settings, so the stats have gone back to 0. I've got the router on now and will post stats later. I'm only on the 2Mb service, which is what I was on with my previous ISP and never had a problem plugging the router into the extension upstairs.

I plugged it into the master BT socket downstairs and still got the frequent disconnects. Am I supposed to open up the socket cover and plug into the test socket? Would that make a difference?

I wish I could understand why my Linksys router was working with Sky till yesterday but can't connect at all now.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorted!

I unscrewed the faceplate on the BT master socket and plugged the router into the test socket and, lo and behold.....it didn't make the slightest difference and the connection kept dropping every few minutes.

I then did what I should have done yesterday and checked the control panel of my trusty old Linksys router. Somehow it has now decided that when it starts up it doesn't connect automatically, even when I try to go to a web page. I have to press the Connect button on the control panel's status page and then it connects straight away and stays connected.

So, it's back to my position until yesterday, i.e. Sky broadband fine, Linksys router fine, Sky router very flaky and keeps dropping the connection.

Hope this helps someone (to not be so absent-minded as to forget to check the router control panel when you can't connect).

Chi
      Chi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nice to know you sorted your problem out mate.

I didint know you could use other routers with the Sky BB.

Can I possibly use the DG834G, or shud I stick with my Sky one?

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You can use other routers, although Sky's Terms & Conditions state that you must only use the one supplied by them.

See the Tech help forum:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/

Please read this before posting to this forum

Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)