Mostly Positive Sky Broadband Sign Up
This is a discussion on Mostly Positive Sky Broadband Sign Up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Caveat: I appreciate that many sign-ups are having a variety of issues with Sky Broadband, so apologies if my account ...
- 07-09-06, 10:52 AM #1
Time Line For Sky Broadband Order
I appreciate that many sign-ups are having a variety of issues with Sky Broadband, so apologies if my account of signing up is a bit salt like in a wound.
1. Registered my interest with Sky Broadband on the day it was announced in July.
2. Received the "Not Long Now" e-mail on 8th August.
3. Received the "You can Order Now" e-mail on the 17th August. On the same day got my migration code from my previous ISP and signed up with Sky MAX, went for self install option.
4. Received the letter advising that the router had been ordered and advising user name and password on 19th August.
5 Phoned Sky on 22nd August and was told activation date would be 29th August.
6. Monitoring these forums saw that some provisioning issues were happening so called Sky 24th August and told there was a delay on my order.
7. Received router on 25th August. Called Sky again still told there was still an issue with my line, I prompted them again by offering my migration code which they duly took (reckon this was the issue). Later in the evening received a courtesy call saying that my activation date had been delayed and I would get a call in the next five working days to be re-advised of a new date.
8. Received my activation date (the original one) letter on 26th August.
9. After the bank holiday Monday called Sky on 29th August and was advised that a provisional switch was scheduled for 6th September 2006. Never received any follow up calls but every couple of days phoned them to check on the order,plus I monitored the order on BT's order tracker.
10. Got home on the 5 September, noted my ISP connection was down, checking on my old Ethernet modem I could see there was a new network connection established so plugged in the Sky Netgear box which synced but wouldn't connect with SKY. Figured this was because the switch had happened a day early and therefore my account hadn't actually gone "live", called up Sky to see if they could metaphrically switch me on - said they couldn't as provisioning could only do that and they went home at 4.30pm (?). Within the hour my connection was fine and I was away - figure when I first tried to connect was when Sky Broadband servers were down.
MY OPINION ON IT:
To be fair my personal experience has been largely positive and as I was a migration I wasn't ever without a connection. Things Sky could improve on would be being more pro-active in keeping their customers informed and the staff having more information to-hand (they really don't seem to have even the most basic of information available to them).
My advise to anyone signing up is to:
A. Use this forum as it's an excellent resource to see if others are suffering issues that unbeknown to you might be affecting your order.
B. Chase up your order by phone on a regular basis as Sky do seem to be a bit rubbish at keeping you in the loop.
C. Register at the BT site so you can track your order. This is not fool-proof but if your order shows up on it it's quite re-assuring.
Am I happy? Well my line is syncing up at around 13394kB/ps which is what I would expect based on my attenuation and distance from my exchange, however speed tests suggest I'm only achieving 5MB-6.5MB download speeds, upload speeds are excellent. When I get a moment I will have to establish more accurately my download speeds and, if need be, take this up with Sky's technical department. However, at £10.00 a month I'm happy for the time being.
Hope this time-line is helpful and not to dull a read.
PS: God, I've just read that back and it is dull - however I typed it so it's getting posted
Last edited by spcdust; 07-09-06 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Change Posting Title
- 07-09-06, 07:39 PM #2Site FounderExchange: Gravesend, NDGRABroadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200Router: Non Sky RouterSky TV: Yes
- Join Date
- Aug 2006
- Kent, UK
- Thanked 41 Times in 28 Posts
- Blog Entries
that sounds ok spcdust not dull at all"To help would be a great adventure"