Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help required

This is a discussion on Help required within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have Sky's 16MB broadband in my newly built flat. I was one of the first to move in and ...

Kerr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help required

I have Sky's 16MB broadband in my newly built flat.

I was one of the first to move in and got broadband early.

My line was about 5.5MB at the start but I did mention to sky about it, but no action was taken and I left it be.

Anyway as the last few months have passed I now find my 16MB line testing at only 2.7MB.

It has been in the hands of Sky for weeks and we are getting nowhere. I call them, they promise call back then don't. Only once has level 3 called back and it was in the specific window I said not to call!

I know it's up to 16MB but surely there is some requirement that sky have to meet? Surely less than 20% can't be acceptable?

I just want to rip the contract up as I hate the service and even more so sky customer services/support.

I only wish cable was still an option here, far superior

2. Advertisement
      hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help required

Hi Kerr

Sorry, but it is "up to" because it is dependent on so many factors including quality and length of the line and also congestion at the exchange.

You have experienced a subtantial drop in connection though. Could you post some stats and perhaps we can offer some advice so that you know all is optimal at your end of things?
      Last edited by hugsie; 11-04-07 at 09:54 PM.

bobmacwos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: southend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help required

hi there
      i am new here too
      you say you have had 5.5 on your nice new line but now it;s down to 2.2 have you changed your wires or something you should have a certain speed when its in a room ie run of an extension or a secondary socket but if you were to run a adsl i:e an rj11 cable from the hall to the router in that room the reading should be different but if you leave the router in the hall or where your master socket is the speed will be fastest but if you change the short piece of cable that comes in the box for just the filter your speed goes down to 2.2 it seems to loose with the filter on first unless there;s a phone on it too and a wire of at least 1 metre i know this because i have done it and went from under 2mb to 8mb all the time i am on max by the way but werent happy with 2mb as it also kept conking out on me but when leaveing it on as long as possible in the late afternoon early evenings i have got it too work ok ( touch wood )
      i have been to other peoples house and have had to take the computer out of the room its in and put it in the hall beside the master socket and get the broadband installed and running and then put the computer back in the person room usually a dinning room or bedroom where it then worked no problem but if ever that computer lost its drivers for the modem etc it would not work and would have to be put back in th hall to get it going again
      this is with sky tiscalli and aol and homecall and talk talk hope this helps you dont give up keep going