Hi, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have several services setup and working fine from a specific remote IP address. For example remote desktop has a service on the router defined using port 3389 and forwarding to the wireless attached device I can remote desktop to the wireless laptop with no problems.

I want to be able to access shares on the wireless laptop as I can on the local network or another wireless device on the same network but remotely just like I can with remote desktop.

I have defined two services "WinFS" tcp/udp port 445 and "Shares" tcp/udp ports 135 - 139. These are setup the same way in the Netgear Router Firewall rules to forward to the same locally attached device that has shares present (c$ for example)

When I try to access this remotely the router log has an entry which ends with "WinFS Match" so the firewall rule is correct, although I was expecting it to use 135-139 not 445.

Does anyone know what step is missing in this setup? Or if this is possible. I can't see why it wouldn't be as it's basically just port forwarding as far as I can tell.

I'd be grateful for any ideas here, or any other way you might know to access files remotely without having to use remote desktop or installing cygwin etc