Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help!!!

This is a discussion on Help!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Need some advice, my Sky been connected for a couple of months, few issues here and there, smooth ...

Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help!!!

Hi all,

Need some advice, my Sky been connected for a couple of months, few issues here and there, smooth lately though. Mostly connection maxes at 2360kbps (connect) with a max wireless download of 1950kbps.

Last night connected speed (as indicated on router) was down to 1750 so I reset the router and left it before bed... Wireless radio wouldnt connect in bedroom but thought nothing of it.

This morning had no internet connection depsite all figures from router indicating all was ok, turned off and disconnected, restarted PC etc. (and numerous times since)... I have ran all tests I can the router status says it is connected at 1700kbps ish. The wireless is fine, I can access router set up, now what I am finding stranger is that I CAN get email, some online games will connect up until the actual game is in play then disconnect... I cant access any internet explorer or firefox pages at all. Have done everything I can think of (repair connection, unplug all, manual ip and dns details etc...) no joy.

The only thing I can think of is that I am being restricted by sky/bt somehow, but with only mobile phone dont fancy having to call the 0870 etc...

Any ideas at all?

(Obviously I cant post figures, at mates house now, got no internet at home )

Thanks,

Jim.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Help!!!

Any ideas anyone?

I'm going to have to call tech support, but like I said I don't fancy having to do it from home on a mobile with the 0870 number (my landline went dead when I changed to Sky), tempted to try tier 3 on the geographic London number but not sure how far i'll get without the ticket from the useless tier 1's who are only going to get me to repeat everything i've already done...

Thanks,

Jim.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could post your detailed router stats using the mognuts utility, to see if there any errors on your line?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Am I understanding you right? Your home phone is dead, but you use it for Broadband?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll see if I can find it and give it a try... I guess it is savable to disk as I can't access the site from home...

I won't be able to connect to a master socket though as I don't seem to have one, new coach house and only one connection I can see in entire property, is the standard extension type... Also may have to try just on wireless connection for now as I will need a 10m Ethernet cable to reach the PC directly and at the moment funds are a major issue! (Hence not wanting to spend loads on calls and actually changing to Sky in the first place! )

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To previous post ^

Yes, ever since I changed to Sky I now get no dial tone through the phone on the filter connection or directly into the socket, used the same filter as I was using with Tiscali beforehand when I had a phone connection that worked. Broadband has been working fine on it though at the approx speed BT suggested I could get (around 2500kbps). I have no idea why I can't get a dial tone but it has been the same since I got Sky so not putting the problem down to that yet, could always be a broken phone I guess?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Couldn't use the Mognuts utility as the zip file seems to be corrupted and the online version I obviously cant access

I did manage to speak to tier 3 this morning and we were going through things until they said some system they need to use is down until a bit later, have said they will call me back this evening (fingers crossed!). Interesting that they asked me to do the Sky test in the router and tell them the error message, as I already knew it came up as working fine... I am still stumped so I have faith in them

I was thinking back and the only possible cause of any problem from my end was that I set up port-forwarding and a static IP address for a file-sharing program last week (following the programs specific instructions) but this was working fine for about 4 days and no connection problems at all, only after I turned off the router. I thought this could have affected it so I did a factory reset on the router which wiped all firewall exceptions and turned all IP settings back to dynamic in the Windows Wireless connection TCP properties...

Any ideas if this could be the problem, something I forgot to change back or reset?

Thanks again muchly for any help

Jim
      Last edited by Jimrod; 11-04-07 at 01:42 PM.