Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

IP conflict then download speed dropped to 1/4

This is a discussion on IP conflict then download speed dropped to 1/4 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca Tried the optimising link posted earlier by NewsreadeR? Tried any other speed tests? Speedtest.net - The ...

KRAZYJON is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: IP conflict then download speed dropped to 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      Tried the optimising link posted earlier by NewsreadeR?

Tried any other speed tests?

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

DSL ZoneUK - Speed test
      Date of Speed Test: 2007-04-08 21:48:19
      Download Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 380 kbps (47.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed

How do you connect your PC to the router? Ethernet or wireless?

When you run the speed tests, do you have anything else downloading at the same time - e.g. any P2P stuff like BitTorrent - or anything?

Whatever the cause of the slow download speeds, there are certainly noise problems that you can at least sort out to get a higher sync speed....

The dsl zone one didnt work lol geuss im too bad

Date of Speed Test: 2007-04-08 21:48:19
      Download Speed: 134 kbps (16.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 380 kbps (47.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I connect through dg834gt with 20 meters of cat5 i have tried using diffrent computers much closer changing to a old dg834 router changed every cat 5 and the alumium short wire that goes to router i even tryed wireless on a tecra laptop i still get the same results what ever i try.
      I only got this problem a few days ago i was happy as i was getting 600up 400down on speed tests now i got this 130 up 300 down lol it dont make sense

i have only firefox running no downloads
      Last edited by KRAZYJON; 08-04-07 at 10:58 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i was getting 600up 400down
      Have you got this round the wrong way, or were you really happy with 400 kbps down? You have not said if you tried the quiet test, this is really worth doing as it is possible that your line has been damaged in some way. Another forum member increased their d/l dramatically after BT discovered a fault with their line.

I think you should understand that speedtests can vary from minute to minute. The fact that you got an apparently worse response using the test socket proves nothing. The fact that your sync rose from the 600s to nearly 2000, does. Use the advice you have been given about improving your internal wiring and get BT to look at your external line if necessary and things will improve.

KRAZYJON is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you got this round the wrong way, or were you really happy with 400 kbps down? You have not said if you tried the quiet test, this is really worth doing as it is possible that your line has been damaged in some way. Another forum member increased their d/l dramatically after BT discovered a fault with their line.

I think you should understand that speedtests can vary from minute to minute. The fact that you got an apparently worse response using the test socket proves nothing. The fact that your sync rose from the 600s to nearly 2000, does. Use the advice you have been given about improving your internal wiring and get BT to look at your external line if necessary and things will improve.
      my line has allways been a terrible 65db it was fine with bt it seems sky are not able to handle how bad my line is unless my line has corroded in the past week the problem must lie with sky.
      Its clear hear no one actully knows dispite me being not the only one in kent to suffer from this problem as i have seen many people with the same problem

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Its clear hear no one actully knows dispite me being not the only one in kent to suffer from this problem as i have seen many people with the same problem
      1) Report this to BT, As if it is a problem for people in your area, Then BT are required (Dont count on me - with this one) to do something.

But lets face it, With a 65db attenuation, I hope you werent expecting 16Mb as thats almost impossible.
      There are alot of people using the BT network to get broadband and tbh, There is nothing you lot who live so far away from the exchange can do, Unless you move house, or keep on nagging BT/Ofcom.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

it was fine with bt it seems sky are not able to handle how bad my line is
      The problem is not really with Sky, it is with the technology. With BT you would be on an ordinary ADSL connection, which would have a profile set of 512kbps or up to 1500 kbps. BT would adjust this profile to give you the best consistent download speed. The technology used by Sky (apart from Connect) is completely different. It is supposed to adjust itself automatically to give the best performance, unfortunately this does not seem to work too well on very long or noisy lines. I am sure some of the forum experts could explain this better than I can.

Given the condition of your line, I think you would have been better off staying with ordinary ADSL. With my last ISP, some users were upgraded to Max and when they found their broadband became unusable, they were moved back, unfortunately this is not an option with Sky.

I may be wrong, but I think it is really naughty for Sky to sell a service which may not work anywhere near as well as it should. A basic line check would confirm this and the customer could be warned that they may receive a very poor service. But then again, how many ISPs would 'put off' potential customers in this way?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123