Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Newbie with questions

This is a discussion on Newbie with questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everybody. I found these forums a few months ago and have been reading through as much as I can. ...

Algaris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:

Newbie with questions

Hi everybody.

I found these forums a few months ago and have been reading through as much as I can. Im overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information you have collected here and want to say thank you to everyone involved with this site.

At the moment I have an account with Eclipse Internet (Eclipse Internet - Welcome) and am paying 23.99 a month for an unlimited package. I experience very few problems with Eclipse but begrudge paying as much as I do. Recently I received an email from Sky explaining I could signup to their Connect package for 5 a month. Even though it has a 40GB cap, the 5 a month price is very tempting. I'm just slightly nervous about taking a chance and moving away current provider.

Currently I have the following setup:

2 x PCs connected via a wired network to my router.

1 x iMac connected via a wired network to my router, and occasionally used wirelessly if I move it to another room.

1 x Dell Axim v51v connected wirelessly.

What I would like to do is:

Use the PCs for online gaming (such as WoW and D&D Online).

Use my iMac for online work (FTPing files and images for websites, etc), and general browsing / email, video / voice chat via Skype and Internet Radio.

Use my Dell Axim for making / receiving Skype calls when away from my computers around the house.

Id be interested in peoples opinions regarding whether the Sky Connect package would be able to cope with the above without any major issues, such as slow speeds / lag, disconnections, etc and if I could be letting myself in for trouble with the 40GB cap. Being on an unlimited service Ive never bothered finding out how much bandwidth I use a month.

Thanks for indulging me in this and sorry if I'm missing any technical info, I'm not the that knowledgeable when it comes to broadband.

2. Advertisement
      PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Sky TV:

Re: Newbie with questions

Morning Algaris,

I don't see why you would have any problems - the router sky gives is a Netgear DG834GT which is a very good piece of kit in my opinion. So all your doing is replacing the juice that's going into the router. You can also use the router you have in place already and there are tools on this site to find out your Username and Password - so there is really no need to disrupt anything

Most people on connect get slighty varied results - ive not seen a ping over 60 - DON'T use for ping tests - it's always coming back 100+ on a london server yet a ping to comes back as 20 ms - and lastnight i had a succesfull online gaming session on BF2142

dumeter can be set to start when you start your browser and will count your usage - or you can start it yourself

i spent the last few years downloading around 6TB a month ( mostly on giganews) so i welcome the cap for me - the connect is peachy and apart from the initial 10 day training period on ADSLmax it's been great so far - and as you say for 5 it's a bargain

Everything you have mentioned works over the connection

Last edited by PeteC; 08-04-07 at 09:35 AM.