Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ongoing problem - Pulling hair out

This is a discussion on Ongoing problem - Pulling hair out within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey fellow skyusers, im looking for some help on my ongoing problem, Im been avid online game user for the ...

Bradeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ongoing problem - Pulling hair out

Hey fellow skyusers, im looking for some help on my ongoing problem,

Im been avid online game user for the best 6 years and ive always had this disconnection problem, where i would frequently disconnect throughout the day (less frequent a few years ago) but recently (past 3 days) its been extremely bad and i disconnect after a few minutes of play, because its happened over a 6 year period and over 3 PC's ive ruled out that its a pc problem and more of a technical problem, ive looked at all the normal symptoms such as microfilters and such and im sure its more of an advanced problem to what im guessing is to do with the BT plugs around the house,

could anyone help me out thanks? (im about to disconnect )

I know this is not really needed but it might help - my speeds
      http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3275/sky1zo7.jpg

My stats
      http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/281/sky2nd7.jpg
      Last edited by Bradeh; 07-04-07 at 07:34 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ongoing problem - Pulling hair out

Have you tried a connection directly to the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket (assuming you have NTE5 type sockets). See the link on the right-hand side of this page 'Test your Master Socket'.

If you get an increase in speed and noise margin then it is safe to assume that the problems lie within the house wiring and not with BT wiring.

Have you also turned off UPnP in the router menu, as this is a common cause of disconnects on sky.

If you do get inproved performance, you may want to consider disconnection the ring/bell wires in the BT socket. This can often cause interference to ADSL connections. Many posts on this theme in the 'Cabling and Faceplate Forum'.

HTH
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Welcome to the forum

You'll find a great deal of useful info on the forum much of it "stickied". Can I suggest you spend a little time reading a few posts. Start with the stickies in my signature at the bottom of this post then maybe have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum followed by the router stats forum.

For disconnection issues look to UPnP as a possible issue and turn it off and/or check your noise margins.

PS the two images you posted are repeating the same info and don't tell much at all.

Bradeh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks,

When i connect to the test socket i get no signal on my router, not sure what that means.

I also turned the UPnP off and also removed the ring wire which gave me a boost in download on sky by 5mb

but, i still have the disconnection problem, could it be something to do with the test socket not responding?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something wrong if the test socket is not working, it brings the connection into your house. If it is not working, nothing should work. Are you sure you were plugged in properly? If you have one, try using the wire from a dial-up modem, this also rules out problems with the filter. If you use the filter, don't plug a phone into it. This will rule out a problem with your phone. If you get the full line stats using the Mognuts utility, that will give the experts a bit more to go on.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If your test socket dosen't work it sounds like the main socket is wired up incorrectly. The 2 wires from the incoming BT line should be connected to the back of the main part of the socket not the bttom half that pulls off, "hope that makes sense. Dose a normal phone work if you plug it in the test socket?