Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Max - not connecting as ADSL2+ ?

This is a discussion on Sky Max - not connecting as ADSL2+ ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Wonder if anyone might be able to advise on this - here are some stats from my router for starters... ...

phoe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stoneycroft
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Sky Max - not connecting as ADSL2+ ?

Wonder if anyone might be able to advise on this - here are some stats from my router for starters...

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4608 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 6.8 13.0
      Attn(dB): 50.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.4 11.6
      Max(Kbps): 5184 1120
      Rate (Kbps): 4608 768

Unfortunately, I have little experience of ADSL Max (8Mbit) or ADSL2+ but I think the above shows me as connecting as standard ADSL Max.

I know my attenuation is a little high - i'm trying to borrow a laptop at the moment to save me hauling my desktop to the master socket - i'm approx 2.8km away from the exchange by cable, and when I first connected the router and checked the stats the attenuation was only 7dB which seems remarkably low - perhaps this was a factory setting that hadn't stabilised ?!?

If I reboot the router, it seems to take several minutes to re-establish a connection, and appears to try a number of times - is this because it will try at the fastest method / rate and renegotiate downwards until it gets a stable connection ?

The Sky router utility page here seems to offer an option of choosing the connection method between G.DMT and ADSL2+ - does anyone know if it's safe / possible / wise to try this ? (and will it fall back to connecting however it can if I alter this ?)

As an aside to this, if I *am* connecting as a simple ADSL Max customer, i'm guessing i'm in the middle of the ten day training period - is it true that ADSL2+ has no training period, and will simply connect as best it can ?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Max - not connecting as ADSL2+ ?

The Sky router utility page here seems to offer an option of choosing the connection method between G.DMT and ADSL2+ - does anyone know if it's safe / possible / wise to try this ? (and will it fall back to connecting however it can if I alter this ?)
      Only Sky can change this setting, I think the option in the utility is to choose what you are connected to.

i'm guessing i'm in the middle of the ten day training period - is it true that ADSL2+ has no training period, and will simply connect as best it can ?
      There is only a 10 day training period on the Connect package - not Base, Mid or Max.

If I reboot the router, it seems to take several minutes to re-establish a connection, and appears to try a number of times - is this because it will try at the fastest method / rate and renegotiate downwards until it gets a stable connection ?
      Mine does exactly the same

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I wonder whether I should be asking Sky why i'm set up as G.DMT then... (i'm paying for Sky Max)

How is it in Pimmys pies and peas land ? (i'm only 15 mins down the road from you)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

lol Pie Land - thats Wigan!

You are probably on GDMT as your line would benefit from that format.

Sky provision you on the best format for the best stability.

On MAX we all pay for up to 16mb and its their network. If you could get over 8mb then they do normally put you on ADSL2 / + but only if your line can handle it.

I have tried all 3, GDMT / ADSL2 and ADSL2+ and GDMT gave my line the best results.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK thanks for the info - I wasn't sure if I "should" be on ADSL2+ by default with Max - i'll see how I get on for now (it's still quicker and cheaper than what I had !)

(and Pimbletts don't sell pies in Wigan ;-) )

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoe View Post
      (and Pimbletts don't sell pies in Wigan ;-) )
      Did they have to stop because they were all eaten?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Maybe... perhaps they'd ran out of their usual - kentucky fried cat :-p

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

From here:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html

... the max speed you could get with an attenuation of 50db is roughly 6500kbps.

As your Noise Margin is very poor, your speed is held back further.

To try & improve your noise margin, have a look at:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Basically.... try the *Test Socket* on the master (remove the faceplate to reveal it). If the noise margin improves & the speed goes up, then you can try improving your internal phone wiring. E.g. remove the "ring wire" (orange with white stripes, terminal 3 on the faceplate IDC & any extension socket IDCs), fit a new filtered faceplate, etc etc.

As with you can't even get 8mbps with your attenuation, let alone near 16mbps, I doubt there'd really be any point in changing to ADSL2+.

You aren't on ADSLMax, though.

The only Sky customers who have ADSLMax are those on the "Connect" package (the re-sold BTWholesale service).

You're on a Sky version of G.DMT ADSL.

Although you're not getting anywhere near the full speed offered by the "Max" service's "up to 16mbps", you still have the Max service's higher upload & the Max service's "unlimited" usage. And it's still really cheap

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

From here:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/speed...explained.html
      ... the max speed you could get with an attenuation of 50db is roughly 6500kbps.
      I've definitely seen this vary by a staggering amount - it was on 7-10dB attenuation all afternoon, I power-cycled the router an hour ago to see if it would vary, and it was back up to 50dB again :-(

As your Noise Margin is very poor, your speed is held back further.
      I've already disconnected the "spare" core (it's a hard-wired extension that I put in a few years ago) but it's made no difference - i'm just waiting to borrow the neighbours' laptop for 10 mins to check the test socket - hope to be able to do this sometime over the weekend :-}

As with you can't even get 8mbps with your attenuation, let alone near 16mbps, I doubt there'd really be any point in changing to ADSL2+.
      You aren't on ADSLMax, though.
      If I do manage to get <10dB at the test socket i'll be investing in a wireless adaptor the same day :-p

The only Sky customers who have ADSLMax are those on the "Connect" package (the re-sold BTWholesale service).
      You're on a Sky version of G.DMT ADSL.
      Thanks for the clarification

Although you're not getting anywhere near the full speed offered by the "Max" service's "up to 16mbps", you still have the Max service's higher upload & the Max service's "unlimited" usage. And it's still really cheap
      I certainly can't argue with that :-)

Thanks everyone !

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoe View Post
      I've definitely seen this vary by a staggering amount - it was on 7-10dB attenuation all afternoon, I power-cycled the router an hour ago to see if it would vary, and it was back up to 50dB again :-(

I've read other posts here saying the router has a bug which can make it occasionally report a much much lower attenuation figure than true, so I'd assume the 7-10dB reading is from this bug.

If you're 2.8km away, there's no way you could really have such a low attenuation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast