Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please Help Me With Sky Broadband Connection Issue

This is a discussion on Please Help Me With Sky Broadband Connection Issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; - phoned up mid february, was told i would go on their 'connect' package 20 activation fee, 5 per month, ...

shaggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please Help Me With Sky Broadband Connection Issue

- phoned up mid february, was told i would go on their 'connect' package 20 activation fee, 5 per month, and i would go on the proper 'MID' package at the same price when my exchange gets capacity.

- connected on 1st March

- Bill recieved on 27th March charging me 17 per month (the 'normal' Connect package price)

- I call up trying to find out whats happening. Theres apparently nothing on the notes saying I would be on the 5 per month offer. The CS guy says he can't refund any money to me at the moment as he hasnt got authorisation but will get his manager to do it.

- I call up again two days later. TOTALLY different story. They are adamnant i should be paying 17 per month not 5 as i was never put on the offer. Email my enquiry to customer services who will apparently call me back.

- two days later i have not heard from anyone. I call up again. TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY AGAIN. The CS person is now saying 'we have no record of you being put on the offer of 5, so i can't change anything. If you cancel, you will get charged appropriately as you are locked into 12 month contract.

Now being told i should write in to their customer services to see if they can either cancel or give me the 5 offer!!

Fuming here. Its very difficult for me to lose my patience but this is ridiculous. I have wasted more than 3 hours talking to these muppets and STILL getting passed around in circles. Not even the threat of passing a complaint to OFCOM has moved them

Has anyone got any advice for me? What should I do to get out of this situation. If they record their calls, they can retrieve my call on the day I ordered the broadband and clearly will hear i was being offered it at 5 per month.

2. Advertisement
      mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Please Help Me With Sky Broadband Connection Issue

This is a tricky one, as it will probably be your word against theirs. Newsreader had another post about how powerful OFCOM were and came to the conclusion that OFCOM were pretty much useless unless it was a complaint mirrored by hundreds of people. This is obviously why they weren't bothered by your threat about contacting OFCOM. If I was you I'd cut my losses and pay to get rid of the whole thing, maybe once they think they are loosing you as a TV customer they'll change their tune. Sorry I can't offer any more advice.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What does it say here when you enter your details:

Sky Broadband

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      What does it say here when you enter your details:

Sky Broadband

Quite rightly, it says i already have broadband, but when I ordered in February, it offered me the Free, Mid and Max packages. When I called up to order, they did a check on the line, and said although my exchange is enabled, they don't have enough capacity to add me on these packages as yet. However, they also offered me the Connect package for 5 a month until they get more capacity to add me on Mid.

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Demand to them all of your records. They have to give them to you and then hopefull it will get sorted out

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately you are in the same position as some others on the forum. It seems if your exchange is due to be enabled in a few months, you get the 5 connect offer, but if your exchange is already enabled and does not have space you only get the 17 offer.
      Telling you to cut your loses and run is all very well, but paying over 200 to get out of the Broadband contract is a bit much. I know it is no consolation, but even at 17 a month, (plus a free router), it is not a bad cost, depending on the speed you can actually receive.
      From what I have read, threatening to pull the lot will get you nowhere, they are too big to be bothered by loosing one customer. Keep at them and they may come round to offering you the 5 deal.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      From what I have read, threatening to pull the lot will get you nowhere, they are too big to be bothered by loosing one customer. Keep at them and they may come round to offering you the 5 deal.
      i am not threatening to cancel anything. All I want is the 5 deal which i was offered when i connected. Now they are saying there is no sign of an offer made to me on my account. If push comes to shove and they can be bothered, they can retrieve the phone recording as proof.

Bloody scam artists, the lot of them.

I have already written to BBC Watchdog, but Im not expecting a reply. I will send Sky customer services a letter first thing on Tuesday - this is what I was advised to do by someone i spoke to in their retentions dept. Apparently they SHOULD be able to help me if i put all this in writing. I am not holding my breath though.

I will also call OFCOM on Tuesday - again not holding much hope for this though but a neighbour who had another issue with another ISP got things sorted really quickly as soon as he called OFCOM.

If push comes to shove I'll start legal action and force them to retrieve the recording when i made my order.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

quick update: wrote letter. sent registered post earlier this week. Called today to see what, if anything might be being done about it. Got a very helpful chap on the phone who said nothings on the system but give them more time to replu. He did however, notice that on my notes it was clearly stated i was offered the 5 package when i ordered so he said its likely to be sorted out in my favour as its all there in black and white.

Why the monkey's i spoke to over the last two weeks failed to spot this in my notes is beyond me.... useless customer services in my opinion, apart from the guy who i spoke to today.

I have cancelled my next door order with Sky after this experience. I will only be too happy to cancel my own order as soon as my 12 months is up, or if they let me cancel it before that ...

eljayaro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01775
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am not sure any one can help you.I've been charged for the service, and I can't log on. After numerous phone calls I sent a recorded delivery letter which was completely ignored. I think you you need to be drinking mates with Rupert to get anything done!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try using the online form, I can assure you it is possible to get results from it.
      Sky.com - Customer Support>Contact Us>Kana Form

@ Mods- It may be worthwhile adding this link to the 'Useful links' column. I think it is stickied somewhere but it is not easy to find.