Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

trying to connect two laptops to wireless network

This is a discussion on trying to connect two laptops to wireless network within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi im new to the skyuser page and am very sorry if i have repeated a post, i have tried ...

MoncaK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

trying to connect two laptops to wireless network

hi im new to the skyuser page and am very sorry if i have repeated a post, i have tried searching for a similar problem.

i have just returned from uni and am trying to connect my laptop to the wireless connection. we already have one laptop connected wirelessly (the one im using right now), but i cannot connect mine.

at the bottom on the system tray the wirless connection says 'connected to peer to peer connection'?? i can sometimes get it to connect to skyxxx by 'viewing wireless network connections', but cannot open a page on internet explorer (changes back to peer to peer quickly). also i cannot open 192. 168 etc on my laptop.

the network key is already entered and everything seems fine, but i just cant connect. i have entered my mac address on the router page (from the laptop that works), but no luck.

hope its not just me being silly! please helpppp! thank youu.

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: trying to connect two laptops to wireless network

Using the utlilities that came with your wireless adapter see if you have selected
      ad-hoc mode instead of infrastructure. Ad hoc is for computer-to-computer file transfer, infrastructure is for a wider network (such as the internet).

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Using the utlilities that came with your wireless adapter see if you have selected
      ad-hoc mode instead of infrastructure. Ad hoc is for computer-to-computer file transfer, infrastructure is for a wider network (such as the internet).
      you learn something new everyday!

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi thanks for the reply

im sorry if im jus slow, but whats the wireless adapter? in the box we jus got the netgear router box thing. is it not all in one? and also how do i chanage to ad-hoc?

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,

The wireless adapter built into your laptop. It appears to be working but, as you've realised , it needs settings changed to make it connect.

As you may see in the manual that came with the laptop, there will be some wireless utilities that you can access from the Start, All programs menu.

Alternatively you can let Windows manage the connection by going via Start, Connect To.

You may find it helpful to do this with the other laptop present and just go through it step by step on each machine changing settings to match those on the computer that works.

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi m8, on the laptop that is enabled try typing 192.168.0.1 into browser and disable security on router and see if that allows access to BOTH laptops.

This is only a temp fix to ascertain whether your other ones wireless adaptor is OK.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hey guys thank u for the replies

so i tried disabling from the security settings on the router site... and it worked! both laptops now work. although a bit weird... the laptop that originally worked now says not connected in the system tray, although websites still load?

but apart from that everything is fine. but now that i have disabled the security settings is there no way i can keep the network safe without it cutting out again?

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoncaK View Post
      hey guys thank u for the replies

so i tried disabling from the security settings on the router site... and it worked! both laptops now work. although a bit weird... the laptop that originally worked now says not connected in the system tray, although websites still load?

but apart from that everything is fine. but now that i have disabled the security settings is there no way i can keep the network safe without it cutting out again?
      Ah, now we are getting somewhere. It would appear one of your laptops has not got WPA security but that's an easy fix.

Go back to the router setting page and click "WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)" then go down and enter any passphrase > click "generate" then accept any one of the 4 passkeys.

Take note of the one you choose and also copy it, now goto bottom of the page and click apply.

Now search for wireless networks and accept yours, enter your SSID which is be the same "SKY****" and your new "network key" will be the WEP one you just copied

Hope this helps m8 and you should be secure from now on