Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Keep losing the connection

This is a discussion on Keep losing the connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Dad is having trouble with BB connect. He set up and connected on Saturday night with the ethernet cable ...

Drummergirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Keep losing the connection

My Dad is having trouble with BB connect. He set up and connected on Saturday night with the ethernet cable and all seemed well, managed to get the connection wireless again all seemed fine (Having been through this myself I was a little sceptical to say the least!! ).

Then the problems started! Everytime he restarts his laptop he loses the connection and can't back on. We've tried shutting the router off, re-setting it etc this works sometimes but not others. I took my laptop to his house connected and it worked fine everytime so the broadband connection itself seems stable. After many calls to Sky they seem to think it is interference from other wireless networks and have advised changing the channel when it happens, which involved connect the laptop via ethernet etc. this again only works intermittantly.

Are we missing something? If my laptop, which now has a stable broadband connect at home and is great, works fine, it is surely something we have missed on the settings of the laptop? Any help would be gratefully received. This site helped me loads in the set up of my broadband a couple of months ago, so I'm hoping it can do it again

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Keep losing the connection

Your laptop may have a better wireless system -- Centrino-type are meant to be the best, others can be pretty poor.

Run through the proven steps to improve reception: see the tutorials on this site.

Put the computer in the same room as the router temporarily and see if performance improves.

If you can detect a neighbour's network, make sure you are on a channel at least three stops away from them.

Turn off or relocate cordless phone base station, mobiles, video senders etc.