Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice Before I call Sky..

This is a discussion on Advice Before I call Sky.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Basically I will cover my issue briefly as I have highlighted it in a few pages around the forum ...

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Advice Before I call Sky..

Hi,

Basically I will cover my issue briefly as I have highlighted it in a few pages around the forum and don't want to become an "over kill"..

I was activated on the 30th March, but Skys Netgear could not find a DSL signal. However my other two spare routers found a signal no problem.

I called Sky, but they could not clarify whether I was or was not connected. And to cal back after 3 days when the line should of settled down. After help from a fellow member to extract username/password, I entered this into my Voyager router and hey presto have a great connection..and I am a happy bunny!

But now I need to call Sky (as the Netgear still does not find a DSL connection) and explain my scenerio... but I have heard Sky do not like you using another router as it breaks there T & C's. (Even though in my opinion, the router they supplied does not work.. so in essence they have provided me with equipment not fit for the purpose they were intended for - that breaks my own terms & conditions!! lol).. so is it best to tell them?? Or not??

In theory when I called last time they just assumed I had no connection.. which I clearly have! So for me to call and explain that the Netgear router is at fault I would need to provide evidence in some way that it is indeed at fault (ie.. connecting now using my Voyager..)

Any advice.. should I just tell them that I have connected using my Voyager? After all, surely they can see that I have connected anyway???

Appreciated..

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Advice Before I call Sky..

Do not tell them you have connected via an alternative router - you would just be opening up a whole world of pain.

So what happens with the Sky router? Do you get a connection light on the router but find that it cannot sync or is there no Internet light on the router at all?

I would find some way of getting across that the router is faulty rather than the line - perhaps one of the super secret resident sky techs could give you a suggested line of attack!
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 01-04-07 at 03:07 PM.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah I thought that teling Sky I am not using there router would open a bag of worms..

Definetly no dsl indication light appears on the Netgear Router and the install CD just says:

"Oops it seems your not connected yet.. " or whatever it says..

But as I say both my Voyager & my old Netgear DG814 connect no probs, although I am using the Voyager.

I'll await to see how anyone else who has had a similiar problem approached this one..

Cheers..

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Arrrrrgggghh... !!

You guessed it I have just come off the phone to Sky.. and after explaining that:

(1) My two other routers show a DSL signal, but the Netgear shows none.
      (2) No signal on my netgear - doesn't show even when connected to my sisters sky broadband (using the same Max service and router!)

I was speaking to a friendly guy called Leo, who then went down the "trouble shooting" reinstall the CD.. etc.. etc..
      I explained, its not the software..I have no DSL signal on the router, in essence the router is faulty? It has to be!!

Ok, he said, when you open explorer what error message do you get?

Urrghh??... I repeated AGAIN.. I have no DSL signal on the router.. obvioulsy its the
      "..Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.." error..

Ahh he said.. thats means there is a problem with your connection..... ..

Mmmmm.. yes, I kinda of know that!!!

Then he said, but it shows you are connected...your equipment must be working.

So I put my hands up and said, yes thats how I know my other two routers work fine and the Sky router doesn't...so for the next few minutes he covered the T & C stuff about using another router. I calmly reminded him that what about the T&C's about offering a service and hardware, which in my case is not fit for the service provided and I am paying for..

"This is obvioulsy a Tier 3 problem sir" ..he said, they will call you in 3 days.

And so I tried in vain for the next 5 mins explaining that Tier 3 won't be able to resolve this problem unless they are prepared to personally deliver me a router... because it isn't a line problem.. its the router..

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and was told they don't have a supervisor on weekends...you will need to wait 3 days sir...(it seems Sky don't have an escalation procedure at all..)

Okay so its a tier 3 problem now... and waiting for them to call and then tell me (what I already know anyway..) .. I need a new router....
      I realise now why people don't get call backs from Tier 3 (so I hear anyway..).. because Tier 3 are dealing issues which can be clearly dealt with at level one, is replacing a router such a difficult issue...especially when the evidence is pretty conclusive that it IS at fault??

Oh dear..oh dear... I am sorry, I love my broadband connection, but there Customer Service IS absolutely horrendous. This Leo guy (although extremely friendly) really did not have a clue as to what I was talking about. To make it even worse, he didn't understand me when I said the word "Router"...

"what do you mean "router".. your connection box...." ....sorry but that is absolutely terrible!!!! but I laughed if I am honest when I come off the phone..

I really don't care how long they take to sort out this replacement router to be honest now, if Tier 3 don't call me back, then I will throw the router out, send HQ a letter to confirm that is doesn't work (to cover my back should they say it ever did) and just use the hardware I have already. And leave it at that..

Oh and his closing words, those wonderful ones which are all part of the "customer call quality checks (sorry, I monitored calls in a call center and its part of the script)

"..Is there anything else I may help you with.."

Yes I thought to myself...

Sky, for gods sake give your staff adequate training, common sense and the ability to handle a call without the total reliance of a script...

What a nightmare...........................nuff said..............

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GedNE View Post
      Arrrrrgggghh... !!

You guessed it I have just come off the phone to Sky.. and after explaining that:

(1) My two other routers show a DSL signal, but the Netgear shows none.
      (2) No signal on my netgear - doesn't show even when connected to my sisters sky broadband (using the same Max service and router!)

I was speaking to a friendly guy called Leo, who then went down the "trouble shooting" reinstall the CD.. etc.. etc..
      I explained, its not the software..I have no DSL signal on the router, in essence the router is faulty? It has to be!!

Ok, he said, when you open explorer what error message do you get?

Urrghh??... I repeated AGAIN.. I have no DSL signal on the router.. obvioulsy its the
      "..Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.." error..

Ahh he said.. thats means there is a problem with your connection..... ..

Mmmmm.. yes, I kinda of know that!!!

Then he said, but it shows you are connected...your equipment must be working.

So I put my hands up and said, yes thats how I know my other two routers work fine and the Sky router doesn't...so for the next few minutes he covered the T & C stuff about using another router. I calmly reminded him that what about the T&C's about offering a service and hardware, which in my case is not fit for the service provided and I am paying for..

"This is obvioulsy a Tier 3 problem sir" ..he said, they will call you in 3 days.

And so I tried in vain for the next 5 mins explaining that Tier 3 won't be able to resolve this problem unless they are prepared to personally deliver me a router... because it isn't a line problem.. its the router..

I asked if I could speak to a supervisor and was told they don't have a supervisor on weekends...you will need to wait 3 days sir...(it seems Sky don't have an escalation procedure at all..)

Okay so its a tier 3 problem now... and waiting for them to call and then tell me (what I already know anyway..) .. I need a new router....
      I realise now why people don't get call backs from Tier 3 (so I hear anyway..).. because Tier 3 are dealing issues which can be clearly dealt with at level one, is replacing a router such a difficult issue...especially when the evidence is pretty conclusive that it IS at fault??

Oh dear..oh dear... I am sorry, I love my broadband connection, but there Customer Service IS absolutely horrendous. This Leo guy (although extremely friendly) really did not have a clue as to what I was talking about. To make it even worse, he didn't understand me when I said the word "Router"...

"what do you mean "router".. your connection box...." ....sorry but that is absolutely terrible!!!! but I laughed if I am honest when I come off the phone..

I really don't care how long they take to sort out this replacement router to be honest now, if Tier 3 don't call me back, then I will throw the router out, send HQ a letter to confirm that is doesn't work (to cover my back should they say it ever did) and just use the hardware I have already. And leave it at that..

Oh and his closing words, those wonderful ones which are all part of the "customer call quality checks (sorry, I monitored calls in a call center and its part of the script)

"..Is there anything else I may help you with.."

Yes I thought to myself...

Sky, for gods sake give your staff adequate training, common sense and the ability to handle a call without the total reliance of a script...

What a nightmare...........................nuff said..............

Welcome to SKY!!!!!

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Next time you speak to them do it the other way round!! Tell them you have borrowed your mates Sky router from down the road and it works fine on your line, that should prove to them your router is duff, don't worry they wont remember your last conversation, they are not that clever!!