Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband and IE7

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband and IE7 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been using the internet for several years, but I am new to broadband and new to Internet Explorer ...

Steve case is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Prescot
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Broadband and IE7

I have been using the internet for several years, but I am new to broadband and new to Internet Explorer 7, which may explain why I am struggling with a question the answer to which might be really obvious to others. Having successfully installed Sky broadband, I am now able to access the internet by clicking on the "S" icon which was placed on my desktop. But suppose I occasionally want to open internet explorer and connect to the internet using one of my dial-up connections - how do I do that? I can't find any way of forcing IE7 to connect via dial-up instead of Sky Broadband. Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband and IE7

Excuse me for asking, why a dialup connection when you have BBand. After BB, dialup is like watching paint dry

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

And I just want to ask, why install the Sky software when you don't need to. As soon as you turn you computer on you will have a working internet connection, there is no need to have an "S" icon on the desk.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
      Excuse me for asking, why a dialup connection when you have BBand. After BB, dialup is like watching paint dry
      I agree, that under normal circumstandces I will use broadband every time. However there are reasons why I am likely to need to use dial-up on odd occasions. For example:-
      1. If I am away from home for a few days, and need to access emails on my laptop I may only have access via dial-up.
      2. If broadband connection or equipment fails, I may have to revert to dial-up, for anything urgent, until the problem is resolved.
      3. I run a website using the free webspace proviede by one of my dial-up ISP's (Tiscali). In the longer term I plan to register a domain name and use aproper web-hosting company. But for the immediate future I will need to maintain the site and, as far as I know, I can only do this by logging on to Tiscali.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      And I just want to ask, why install the Sky software when you don't need to. As soon as you turn you computer on you will have a working internet connection, there is no need to have an "S" icon on the desk.
      I installed the Sky software because, being entirely new to broadband, I felt I ought to follow the Sky instructions. It may be true that I didn't need to install the SKY version of IE7. But would it make any difference. The point is that I would like the choice to connect either using broadband (99% of the time) or via a dial-up account on the odd occasion when I need to. I would have thought that threr ought to be a simple way of setting up IE7 to give me this choice rather than just connecting via broadband.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you are using Windows XP I would think that you can access your dial-up connection by clicking Start, Connect To.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Sky Broadband and IE7

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      If you are using Windows XP I would think that you can access your dial-up connection by clicking Start, Connect To.
      Thank you so much. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I knew it would be something simple like that!

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve case View Post
      I installed the Sky software because, being entirely new to broadband,
      All you needed to do if to plug your router in and off you go, there wouldn't be any need to install the software and your computer would pick up on the connection.