Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Were you activated on your given date?

Voters
    25. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes. BT tracker said work was complete.

17 68.00%
    • No. BT tracker said work was complete.

1 4.00%
    • No. BT tracker said work was NOT complete.

1 4.00%
    • Other (please specify)

6 24.00%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Was your net connected on activation day?

This is a discussion on Was your net connected on activation day? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just wanted to start this to see opinions of other Sky BB customers. Basically my scenario is that I ...

::Lisa:: is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMARNOL
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Was your net connected on activation day?

I just wanted to start this to see opinions of other Sky BB customers.

Basically my scenario is that I haven't have BB for a while (8th March) and been on dial up since... ugh! Anyway, received router and activation date was y'day on the 30th March. Looked on BT tracking website yesterday morning and according to that the work had already been done before mid-day. Great, I thought! Tried rebooting router as no internet light. Nothing.

Called Sky customer service. She confirms same thing that it's been activated their end AND at exchange. Said to wait up till midnight and will be on by then. Waited... nothing.

Left it overnight. Reboot router after reboot. Tried test socket etc etc! Still nothing. Called tech support. He went through all the usual crap. Tested line. Tested exchange and said there wasn't a problem at the exchange. Transferred me to Tier 2. Although Tier 2 wouldn't take my call and said I have to wait 5 days now.

So, brings me to my question. Is there any of you out there that had activation dates that weren't activated on that day (even though BT tracker said it had been completed) and it came on at a later time/date without Sky reporting fault?

I'd like to hear your stories? Thank you.

Lisa
      Last edited by ::Lisa::; 31-03-07 at 10:56 AM.

2. Advertisement
      the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Was your net connected on activation day?

Mine was connected on the right day and I was without a connection for about 30 mins during the switchover.

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think I could tell when a switchover would occur on my line since it was completely clear when I moved to Sky. Tiscali ceased my line rather than giving me a MAC code.

I'm really worried that they're lying to me that the internet will come through before next Tuesday. I don't want to wait till then and it still not be on then wait forever for them to fix whatever invisible fault it is

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem with the Poll is that many people will never have looked at the BT tracker - myself included - I tend not to torture myself with these things unless there is a problem!

All I can tell you is that my Sky letter specified a day for activation, so I waited for that day to come and when my old Fasthosts connection stopped working I was taking my children to school, when I got back from that my Sky connection was up and running.

Sorry to hear about your problems - although perhaps once you have waited the three days they mention in their welcome letter you will have a connection

Sky Email Help
      Skoogle Webmail Portal
      Skoogle Account Unlock Page
      Skoogle Tips & Solutions from Skyuser

Don't tie yourself to your ISP's email system

www.gmail.com - free email service.
      www.google.com/a - Choose Google Apps for your domain -
      Email, Calendar, Docs, Website.

You could also try one of these 12 free email services:

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Mine was done at 04.16 in the morning and the BT tracker was correct. The only problem was that Sky failed to tell me this was the date it was being done and to send me the router. I only knew about what date it was being done because of the BT tracker. Both router and letter turned up two days later after I chased them up about it.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I didn't use the Bt Tracker either. Why worry about it if it hasn't happened yet?

Got a date for the 26th. Plugged the router in 9:30 in the morning on the 26th and there it was, and has been ever since.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      The problem with the Poll is that many people will never have looked at the BT tracker - myself included - I tend not to torture myself with these things unless there is a problem!

All I can tell you is that my Sky letter specified a day for activation, so I waited for that day to come and when my old Fasthosts connection stopped working I was taking my children to school, when I got back from that my Sky connection was up and running.

Sorry to hear about your problems - although perhaps once you have waited the three days they mention in their welcome letter you will have a connection

I put the BT tracking thing up there bcause theres a lot of people who got delayed letters, myself included, so I went on there to see if there were any info and there was. I appreciate the poll doesn't suit everyone.

Just trying to get a feel if people who did check it were connected on the day they were promised

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Mine was done at 04.16 in the morning and the BT tracker was correct. The only problem was that Sky failed to tell me this was the date it was being done and to send me the router. I only knew about what date it was being done because of the BT tracker. Both router and letter turned up two days later after I chased them up about it.
      Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
      I didn't use the Bt Tracker either. Why worry about it if it hasn't happened yet?

Got a date for the 26th. Plugged the router in 9:30 in the morning on the 26th and there it was, and has been ever since.
      I appreciate I may seem incredibly inpatient to some people on here. But I'm a photographer and I need to update my website as well as go on some photography forums I regularly visit. I haven't done that in almost a month now and business is slacking because of it

Oh and the fact I'm having withdrawals to other sites I visit too :lol: I just wish it had of been connected yesterday since I've not had broadband since March 8th now. Thanks for your answer.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pasting from another thread so I don't hijack it any longer

Quote Originally Posted by GedNE View Post
      Ohh dear Lisa I do feel for you.. the worst thing is you acn't even complain and say its for work..as Sky state its not to be used for business purposes or whatever...

I really really do hope someone can help you or Sky get there finger out and resolve your nightmare...

I know its a long shot, but I presume you have tried connecting via the main telephone box?? .. I can't think of anything else for you to do other than put the pressure on Sky to get this moving.. maybe a more experienced sky member can help out here??

Wish you well and let us know when it gets resolved (hopefully VERY soon!!)
      Thanks I only have 1 telephone line/box/socket in my house so using that. BT actually replaced it about 3 weeks ago and the wire from the overhead to inside my house as we had one of the 'through the window' boxes with no test socket and even a ringer haha. Needless to say it was totally corroded inside then.

I phoned Sky tech support again and more or less got the same answer to wait until Tuesday. I was more than a little cheesed off and demanded to talk with Tier 2 lol.

Man at Tier 2 was more than helpful and has identified the problem. They did a line test and apparently I'm supposed to hear some beeps down the line when they did that test. I didn't hear them so therefore he explained than there's something wrong and the signal isn't getting to me... meaning no broadband too.

They've raised a fault with BT at the exchange and said they were going to call me back within 48 hours. I really, really hope they do call me back. I've heard the stories about them not bothering to call back

Here's hoping to a quick fix and finally being able to go wireless again on my laptop *crosses fingers*

dj-did is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

mine was connected on the day they said and so far it has been fast and reliable 4 weeks now

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi lisa, we have spoken within other threads..

Was about to start a post to find out if other users had same kinda issues, but rather than repeat.. your post covers it.

My experience is covered here:

Migrating To Sky? I am curious..

Again hope it gets sorted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast