Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Does increasing the advertised speed really work?

This is a discussion on Does increasing the advertised speed really work? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anyone help a simple man figure out the following - I'm on Mid with a max speed of 8mb, ...

argo56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does increasing the advertised speed really work?

Can anyone help a simple man figure out the following - I'm on Mid with a max speed of 8mb, various line checkers tell me that my line is capable of between 1 - 4mb. I get on average 3.7mb download with 416kps upload. SNR varies between 6.1 - 7.4db. Line attenuation is 51db / 31bd - crow fly distance from the exchange is 1.6km. What I really want to know is -

1) If I changed my package or ISP to say a 16 or 24mb service, would my speed change dramatically given the supposed capability of my line?

2) Is it purely distance from the exchange which sets your line capability?

3) to achieve high speeds of say 10mb or above, do I need to live in the exchange?

the reason for my asking is that I play a lot of online gaming and suffer a lot of lag. I know that there will be issues with the game servers contributing to this, but I 'm tring to find out if there is anything I can do to improve my end

2. Advertisement
      davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Does increasing the advertised speed really work?

The primary reason for lag is how heavily loaded everything is, that lies betwen you and the game server. the difference between a good service and a great service is unlikely to make a lot of difference to gameplay. In the case of cable, there is even less difference because all the services at the same speed anyway ( they are just capped according to how many chars per second you can download ).
      I remember that I had one of the first 600kb/s services around in the UK some years ago and on christmas day I spent half the day playing on a game server with a 8ms ping. So what you say? Well, the server was in Norway. A few years later, when several million other people had broadband, the same server was pinging over 150ms and the service was then running at 1mb/s.

argo56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Does increasing the advertised speed really work?

Thanks for the input Dave... I was under the broad assumption that the quicker my upload speed was, the quicker I could interact with the game server and hence the game. The EA servers are notoriously bad anyway, but I was stabbing in the dark to see if there was anything I could do at my end to compensate.
      I connect through an xbox 360, so don't know how to ping their servers but I'll try to figure it out as a matter of interest .
      Cheers