Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speak slowly please, this is Sky technical help

This is a discussion on Speak slowly please, this is Sky technical help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Anyone noticed how slowly you have to talk to the Sky technical help? I have a line issue with my ...

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speak slowly please, this is Sky technical help

Anyone noticed how slowly you have to talk to the Sky technical help?

I have a line issue with my ADSL, and stupidly thought it might be worth a few worth of phone call to ask if anything could be done. I was met with a complete moron on the other end of the phone, who truly didn't have a clue. It took nearly five minutes to explain to her that the line didn't have an extension socket and there wasn't a phone on the line, because it was entirely dedicated to ADSL. I told her that I had run broadband speed tests on the line and was achieving a very slow data rate. This conversation took another five minutes, and I honestly don't think she understood what I was on about at all. Although she understood that I was complaining about speed, she didn't seem to understand that I could actually measure the speed of the connection. Anyway, moving on from the conversation about speed tools, which was not getting us anyplace at all, we just concentrated on the statement "IT'S SLOW". Having spent another ten minutes being told about the fact that I only had a 2mb/s connection and expected speed was less than 1mb/s, and once again trying to convince had measured it at less than 150kb/s, she started her "morons guide to diagnosing connection problems"; you know, the one that starts with resetting your modem and questions like, does it smell of urine ( did you mistake it for the toilet last night when you were drunk ) and gets more and more stupid as you go along. Oh, then we came the fatal, "OMG I said the wrong thing" moment; she asked how many computers I had connected to the modem and I explained it was three. Realising my mistake, I quickly added that only one was switched on. Oh dear, too late. She ignored the "switched on" bit and immediately latched on to this as her "cause"........Oh dear GOD!! I explained to her that it wouldn't cut the performance to less than one tenth of that expected, especially since the other computeres were turned off. She insisted that it would. At that point I am afraid the conversation degraded into questions about her qualifications.....mainly as to whether she actually had any...and got worse, touching on topics such as whether her mother had two or four legs.....

I mean I actually found myself speaking slowly so she could, hopefully, follow what I was saying. And also found myself bending the complicated truth, trying to avoid saying things she would not understand. A bit like talking to a six year old really about the Big Bang theory. Uh, Most of the time, despite all the efforts, she didn't understand. It was clear, right from the onset, she absolutely didn't have a clue. She was reading all of this from the "Sky big book of instructions for hopeless people", and if it wasn't in the book, you are lost. What really annoyed me is that she was so damn patronising. If she would only admit that she didn't know or didn't understand, I could have lived with it....

The problem is that this is the second time I called the help line, and the second time I have had this problem with their staff. The conclusion now is that it is completely pointless phoning the Sky techies. They are about as technical as my pet cat.

2. Advertisement
      alexg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Speak slowly please, this is Sky technical help

Does your pet cat have a phone number, coz I need to speak to someone more intelligent than sky.

I must have got the same person, I was on the phone for at least 25 minutes before throwing the phone accross the room and breaking it.

The conversation started off like this.

"I have a problem with my wireless router, I've tested it by using a patch cable directly from the router to my pc and the connection to the internet drops every few hours"

I spent the next 25 minutes trying to convince her that it was not my wireless adapter that had the problem. She said "it's not sky supplied equipment!" Well no it's not, it's a netgear WG511T which is supposed to work very well with a netgear router. Regardless of how well it's supposed to work, I've eliminated this as the cause by plugging the pc directly into the router using an effing cable!!!

If it's not on their script, they don't know what the hell you're talking about. They've obviously mass hired a bunch of call centre folks that have absolutely no clue what on earth anyone is on about. They are limited to reading from a screen and clicking the Yes or No answers and reading the next question.

I'd suggest to anyone having problems to try their own router and wireless adapter combination that they've had working before.

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Speak slowly please, this is Sky technical help

First off ..LOL .. I can think 75% of the Sky user population can appreciate your feelings about calling Sky technical support, from what I have read anyway. I am lucky in that I have not had that "priviledge" yet...............

With the ongoing "outsourcing" of call centres abroad we are increasingly speaking to people in India, China, South Africa... I once posted a similiar problem I had with a company on a forum and was accused of being racist? which is laughable as my mother is from Barbados and black!!! (I am white btw... don't ask!!) I was simple explaining the language barrier was REALLY bad and the very friendly CSR had extreme difficulty understanding me?? and to be honest, I could not understand her...

We are assured these Tech advisers have been trained and further assured of an excellent customer comitment ... really??? . not in my experience with many many call centre's! Both as a caller and a person working within one!

I was employed by a very well known mobile phone company who is ironically aptly named after a fruit, an oraneg one I trained new members of staff in India (who happen to be replacing my job in the UK anyway..) but the policy basically was "..train em quick, get them on the phones quick and if they get stuck .. use the idiot guide provided..", I felt sorry for the CSR to be honest, they were thrown basically into a lions den..

The "OMG I said the wrong thing.." is just soooo common and you are spot on, they can "latch onto that" and get you off the phone sharpish.. so I kinda laughed to myself when I read that.. shouldn't happen..but it does... regularly!!!

Mind you I will give the staff in India I worked alongside there due, they REALLY REALLY do want to do the job as professionally as possible and many actually have degree's and are far more qualified (on paper anyway) than CSR's in the UK. And they get paid far less!! Lets face it, these people have learned our language and put in a lot of hard work to get where they are normally. The problem I saw mostly was the company are the ones mostly at fault, they think of only one thing..PROFIT.. Keep the line queues down (get the customers off the phone as fast as possible)..and have morons in management who have no idea about customer commitment, customer empathy and understanding of a customers needs. The high majority (from companies I have worked in..) are university graduates with absolutely no experience of the working field..

Call Centre's? .. they may be here to stay.. even the oversea's one's, but they are set up in such a way to make a customers "support" experience as terrible as it can be!

I avoid using them unless its absolutely necessary.. I scan forums etc.. or try and resolve myself before I put myself through the mind numbing experience!

davefaz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, my cat just signed a contract with Virgin Media. Ha ha!

Unfortunately, it is a big mistake to mention anything that isn't supported by Sky, even if it happens to be switched off at the time. They just latch on to that and repeat the phrase "that is not supported by sky". They just kept dragging the conversation off in a direction that is utterly irrelevant. I mean, the boradband connection is ten times slower than it should be and that is the fault of a PC that is switched off? Jees.

By far and away the best policy is to just deny the existance of anything other than 1 Sky router and 1 PC. No, sorry, the best policy is to buy your own cat. It would be cheaper.

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davefaz View Post
      By far and away the best policy is to just deny the existance of anything other than 1 Sky router and 1 PC. No, sorry, the best policy is to buy your own cat. It would be cheaper.
      Purrrrrfect