Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems when accessing internet and utorrent!!

This is a discussion on Problems when accessing internet and utorrent!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Im very new here, sorry to be rude and post without saying hi etc but ive been searching on ...

randy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problems when accessing internet and utorrent!!

Hi

Im very new here, sorry to be rude and post without saying hi etc but ive been searching on this site for quite a while and cant figure out where to start.

Ive figured out maybe i should ditch the free mcafee virus scan i have and get another virus protection but dont knw what to get or where from!

Ive also figured out i need to change some of my ports but dont have a clue what this is.... yes i am on of these idiots who have limited computer knowledge!! I dont even know if what i said will help me....

I thought the best thing for me to do is to outline my problems and ask for help so here goes........

When i access an internet page it takes a while for the page to load up... also where there are meant to be pictures all i have is a white box with a red cross in it, meaning the page has not shown fully??

I phoned sky broadband techincal... held on for 50 minutes only to be advised that my speed is perfect or soemthing and they cant hep me further, they said have a look at your virus protection settings and left me even mpre confused than before.

I also have really slow download speed on u-torrent and emule, about a maximum of 6kb/s in total where-as before on tiscalli i was getting 200kb/s easily!!!

The lad at sky techincal help said he cant help me further and maybe i should sign up to some of these broadband discussion sites on the internet...... which ive done now!!

Long winded story.. but basically im more confused than what i was this morning, surely not a good thing for an old bugger like me who doesnt know much about this new technology.

My newphew set up all my internet before and told me how to use this utorrent etc when i was on tiscalli and hes not here to help me now.... now im really confused, maybe i should have just stuck with tiscalli!!!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Problems when accessing internet and utorrent!!

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      Hi

Ive figured out maybe i should ditch the free mcafee virus scan i have and get another virus protection but dont knw what to get or where from!
      AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Welcome

Antivirus Software - Eliminate Spyware and Adware with NOD32 Antivirus from ESET (you have to pay for this one)

Ive also figured out i need to change some of my ports but dont have a clue what this is.... yes i am on of these idiots who have limited computer knowledge!! I dont even know if what i said will help me....
      Try this guide for Azureus and see if it helps

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-azureus.html

When i access an internet page it takes a while for the page to load up... also where there are meant to be pictures all i have is a white box with a red cross in it, meaning the page has not shown fully??
      Try disabling the McAffee briefly and see if this resolves itself

The lad at sky techincal help said he cant help me further and maybe i should sign up to some of these broadband discussion sites on the internet...... which ive done now!!
      He should have told you the URL of this site

Ask if you need some more help.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

randy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, sorry to be completely daft here but i cant turn off my virus protection - it wont let me under control pannel - any ideas on how to do this.

Also this Azureus thing, am i best using this instead of u-torrent or do i simply use the information on how to change the ports in the page you showed me?

Thanks for your help

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
      Ok, sorry to be completely daft here but i cant turn off my virus protection - it wont let me under control pannel - any ideas on how to do this.
      I have not used the McAfee, however down in the right hand corner of your monitor, is there an ICON for it? Try right clicking and see if you can disable it?

Also this Azureus thing, am i best using this instead of u-torrent or do i simply use the information on how to change the ports in the page you showed me?
      If you follow the guide for Azureus, that should rule out the Broadband and hopefully you should resolve your speed issues whilst using P2P. If you can understand the principle of port changing from the tutorial and are willing to try them with U-Torrent, that should give you the same end result.

Your call - whatever you are comfortable to try.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

FISHER is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swindon
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Randy,
      Im having the same poor download speeds with my emule too. I`ve tried changing ports, enabling DMZ on my router and everthing else. This hasn`t improved anything. I NEVER had any probs when I was with Pipex. The conclusion I came to was that SKY block/restrict some ports, hence the poor speeds.

Now....... where`s that MAC code............