Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dump the sky router

This is a discussion on Dump the sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, After loads of problems with disconnections and freezes I decided to take action. Got hold of my password ...

Kevj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0117
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Smile Dump the sky router

Hi guys,

After loads of problems with disconnections and freezes I decided to take action.
      Got hold of my password etc and hooked up my router that I used to use with 8meg BT broadband (model voyager 2110) adsl2+ capable.
      I now get a reliable connection of 12meg with no disconnects even on the evenings which was when it was really bad.
      My advice is dump the netgear and use your own, who cares about the T&C`s.
      Cheers Kevj

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Dump the sky router

Hi

The advice to drop the router is not good advice, I don't want to be a party pooper, the fact that when you changed your router, and fixed your problems, does not necessarily mean it will fix other peoples' problems.

To change the router for a non-Sky one, means you are encouraging people to break the T and C's that they agreed to when they signed up to Sky Broadband.

You could in theory have your contract voided and any BB service withdrawn, as well as stop the ability to receive the new VOD service which will be launched.

Sky are not stupid, they have the ability to check who is using their router or not, and if they wanted to be a pain in the butt could act on it.

Those who choose to use their own router do so at their own risk.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought that! and went out and brought a new router and things were 100 times better, but still got the very occasional disconnect maybe once every week or 2 But I still had a bee in my bonnet about these very occasional disconnects, after running further tests I found my line was generating excessive errors, after resolving that both the new router and the Sky router work perfectly!
      Last edited by Koala5; 28-03-07 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks

Hi,
      What do you expect me to do. With constant disconnections, poor customer service. At least when I use my router I can use the broadband i`m paying for.Maybe when they bring out improved firmware or some other fix I might change back.
      Cheers Kevj

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can understand why you have done it and hopefully when they do sort the firmware out it will resolve everyone's problems. I was just putting the message across that us as a site, do not condone the use of your own router.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

bulldog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNCSN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi

The advice to drop the router is not good advice, I don't want to be a party pooper, the fact that when you changed your router, and fixed your problems, does not necessarily mean it will fix other peoples' problems.

To change the router for a non-Sky one, means you are encouraging people to break the T and C's that they agreed to when they signed up to Sky Broadband.

You could in theory have your contract voided and any BB service withdrawn, as well as stop the ability to receive the new VOD service which will be launched.

Sky are not stupid, they have the ability to check who is using their router or not, and if they wanted to be a pain in the butt could act on it.

Those who choose to use their own router do so at their own risk.
      Excuse me for being thick whats VOD ? but as regards to the router change loads of people have done it and posted on this forum and it seems to have worked.
      Ok i agree it brakes the TOC but if sky fixed the problems people would'nt do it or try it.
      From what i have read on this forum and please correct me if i am wrong, but even netgear have updated the firmware as it was an issue with them ?
      Some people have tried the new firware but it kills the router so many have used routers they already have, and thats only thanks to this site letting people know how to get the info.
      I wish i had annother router to try and i might buy one just to give it ago, i say thank god for sites like this
      Sky bb Max

Thanks

Koala5,
      what did you do to resolve your noise on the line?
      How`s the sky router now?
      Cheers Kevj

Lupa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Thanks

Smile Re: Dump the sky router

Hell no my sky router plays an important role in my network I use it to connect my other routers (Netgear DG834G & Safecom) to it through ethernet so I can spit and connect more computers,xbox's and wireless devices downstairs and upstairs.

I have never had a problem with it and think it works fine. I think people don't like the thought of using something because they have to and create fake faults with it so they can get out of using it.
      Last edited by Lupa; 28-03-07 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
      Excuse me for being thick whats VOD ?

VOD = Video on Demand

but as regards to the router change loads of people have done it and posted on this forum and it seems to have worked.
      Cannot disagree - that is fact

Ok i agree it brakes the TOC but if sky fixed the problems people would'nt do it or try it.
      Yep and as soon as they fix it the less hassle for everyone

From what i have read on this forum and please correct me if i am wrong, but even netgear have updated the firmware as it was an issue with them ?
      There is definitely an issue and I am lead to believe that the router firmware is been beta tested and has fixed the issues that we are aware of. However how long it takes to roll out to everyone is anyone's guess

Some people have tried the new firware but it kills the router so many have used routers they already have, and thats only thanks to this site letting people know how to get the info.
      The new firmware is not available and so anyone flashing their routers are doing it with a non-Sky endorsed one.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Of course it is you choice what you do, I was absolutely convinced the routers were crap especially as I had 2 producing the same problems. But after further investigation my line was producing 350000 errors a day over a million if the router managed to stay up for more than a couple of days, the new Dynomode router I brought coped better and didn't disconnect or slow down but was still logging the errors. ie corrupted data. I am currently connected to my original Sky router it has been up and running for 3 weeks without a glitch and my logged errors are down to 100 very couple of days just by disconnecting the bell wire on my internal telephone extensions. This has made no difference to the operation of the phones.
      Last edited by Koala5; 28-03-07 at 12:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast