Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow Speeds

This is a discussion on Slow Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, Just switched over to sky from ntl 4mb But as far as sky go's im only getting 1.5ish ...

simbob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NESUN
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Slow Speeds

Hello all,

Just switched over to sky from ntl 4mb

But as far as sky go's im only getting 1.5ish mb, give or take .2 depending on the time of day. Since i was sold into up to 8mb, i would assume id get at least half of that! Bearing in mind ive been a ntl broadband customer for over 2 years.

We have had sky tv for approx 13 years now, and the service has always been good from them, so it annoys me that being a loyal customer all that time i wasnt made aware of only going to recieve a fraction of the advertised speed!

If its of any help to you guys here are my router stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1760 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 62.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.7 db 14.0 db
      I am connected to sunderland North exchange (NESUN) and the distance to the exchange (according to google earth) by car is approx 2.5miles.

If it were to go, as its said, as the crow flys, it would be roughly 1.7 miles / 1.8 miles.

Heres a link to the tbr page with regards to my exchange :

Any advice on whether i can get the speed up would be appreciated!

Also im past my cooling off period, as i waited untill my NTL had terminated before i decided to try the sky BB.

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Slow Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by simbob View Post
      as far as sky go's im only getting 1.5ish mb, give or take .2 depending on the time of day. Since i was sold into up to 8mb, i would assume id get at least half of that! Bearing in mind ive been a ntl broadband customer for over 2 years.
      You said yourself, you were sold up to 8mb. With your attenuation, they should have told you that you would get a max speed of around 2.5-3.0mb

...so it annoys me that being a loyal customer all that time i wasnt made aware of only going to recieve a fraction of the advertised speed!
      I believe that sky should advise all customers of what of speed they could get, although, thinking about it, I don't think they told me either

I am connected to sunderland North exchange (NESUN) and the distance to the exchange (according to google earth) by car is approx 2.5miles.

If it were to go, as its said, as the crow flys, it would be roughly 1.7 miles / 1.8 miles..
      Your attenuation suggest a line length somewhere in the region of 4.5+km, so your not far out there.

Any advice on whether i can get the speed up would be appreciated!
      Have you tried connecting directly to the Test Socket behind the faceplate of the Master Socket (If you have an NTE5 type socket) to see what connection speed you can get there. This would also help to rule out your internal wiring as a source of problems.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db