Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Limited to 512KB when I currently get 1.7MB??

This is a discussion on Limited to 512KB when I currently get 1.7MB?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I used to be on BT ages ago and I was limited to 0.5 meg connection (thats the fastest they ...

scoopy2scoops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Farnworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Limited to 512KB when I currently get 1.7MB??

I used to be on BT ages ago and I was limited to 0.5 meg connection (thats the fastest they said my phone line could take). I then moved to UKONLINE, they've been able to provide me with a 1.7MB ADSL connection on the same line. I understand the reason UKONLINE can provide me with a faster connection is because they use their own equipment in the BT Exchange (LLU) and their not bound my BT's limitations.

I've just become a SKY customer and I'm interested in taking advantage of the SKY broadband offers. When I called them they said i'd be limited to 0.5 meg connection (they use the BT line checker). Now I understand SKY Broadband is also LLU, so SKY have their own equipment in the BT Exchanges just like UKONLINE.

So why is it UKONLINE can give me 1.7MB but SKY Broadband keep saying 0.5 is my max.

I really like the SKY Broadband offer but dopping down to a 0.5 meg connection isn't an option.

Help would be really appreciated as SKY customer service really couldn't answer my question.
      Last edited by scoopy2scoops; 26-03-07 at 05:09 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Limited to 512KB when I currently get 1.7MB??

Welcome to the forum

As I understand it, the figure Sky CS quote is, as you say, the result they get from the line checker. Very often this is shown to be incorrect and I'm pretty confident you'll actually get the max speed your line can deliver. If you get 1.7meg with UKONLINE then that's what you can expect from Sky.

scoopy2scoops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Farnworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice - If i do take up SKY on their offer and i am in fact limited to 512kb is there anyway i can cancel (is there a cooling off period) or am i going to have to either put up with 512kbps or buy my way out of the contract

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yes there's a cooling off period - 8 or maybe 10 days I think.

skyjimt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I had similar issues on BT. I had 2meg service at vast cost, when i went to cancel I was offered 8meg at lower cost. The speed dropped to 1 meg!. Numerous frustrating calls to India call centre failed to resolve the problem. I was told it was the best I could expect, they just looked at same line checker. Despite the fact that it was quicker before!. I dumped BT & joined Sky & now get 4meg. Same line/pc/distance..... The checker does not seem to be too accurate.