Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why am I on CONnect?

This is a discussion on Why am I on CONnect? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I signed up to Sky Mid BB after I checked with the web site that I was in a Mid ...

Ivesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Why am I on CONnect?

I signed up to Sky Mid BB after I checked with the web site that I was in a Mid area using my home phone number. I rang Sky confirmed I was on the Mid package that is 5 per month and paid the 20 "activation" fee.

Now when I get my bill it says I'm on the CONnect package in fairness I'm still paying 5 per month but that's only until August. I expected to be paying 5 per month for the full year. I've rang them but they don't understand why I'm complaining so I've emailed them but all I get is a conformation that yes I am on the CONnect package.

I've emailed them back to say I will cancel my contract as I signed up to the Mid package. Has this happened to anyone else? I could understand if their own website said I WASN'T in a Sky Mid area but it says I am!

I've tried to remain positive about Sky Broadband but after all the other things that's happened to me I can see me jumping ship very soon, even if it means paying more with another ISP.

2. Advertisement
      AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Why am I on CONnect?

thats very very odd i think all u can dooo is complain or cancel

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Only thing I can think of is that they signed you up for Mid and then realised there was no more room on LLU at your exchange.

Reading the T &C's the other day, I belive they are within thier rights to change your package, so long as you are not disadvantaged by the move. Although it seems that they didn't actually change it, they just put you straight on it without telling you. You are probably within your rights to cancel if you wish, but there really is no difference between connect and mid.

Hopefully they'll move you over as soon as more room becomes available.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
      You are probably within your rights to cancel if you wish, but there really is no difference between connect and mid.
      Oh yes there is a difference!!!!! It has been reported elsewhere that Connect is traffic managed for P2P applications. Not a problem if you don't use P2P though.

If you post your full stats here I'm sure someone will be able confirm whether you are actually on Connect or Mid despite what your bill says.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Good point!

If you got Mid specifically because there is traffic shaping on connect then I could understand.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Not so strange at all but their are more packages than most know from SKY BB, as for your case Ivesy you are on the Mid-Net [5 connect] package and your exchange will be upgraded before July.

Base/Mid/Max for LLU enabled exchanges.

Mid-Net [5 connect] for exchanges that will be upgraded before June 30

Connect 17 for any exchange not due for an LLU upgrade before June 30 or maybe never upgraded.

Connect 17 for any exchange currently sold out on Base/Mid/Max packages, this has nothing to do with SKY as BT have only allocated x amount of slots per exchange.

Ivesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Thanks for the replies. I got this from Sky:

"Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

You should not be charged any more th an 5.00 per month for your broadband services in the forthcomin g year. I would also presume that you should be able to go on to the proper sky network in the next few months.

Sky has offered to subsidise the conn ection package which the fee is paid to BT. If at any time after the 1st of August you are charged more than the stated amunt in your con tract then let us know.

We will get this sorted for you asap, your contract states 5.00 per month for twelve months, then th e amount you will be paying for the service will be 5.00 for th at year per month.

I ideally hope that by August time yo u will be on the Sky servers not the BT. Even if we have not been abl e to switch you over by August Sky will keep your contract in tact as per fees. "

Apart from the lack of a spel l ch ecker I'm quite happy with that. Though reading between the lines I'm half expecting to be charged 17.99 in August as the words "should not" , "presume" , "ideally" and "hope" appear to stand out!

I don't want to sound like and old git (I'm 36) but wasn't life a lot simpler when you just got your Freeserve disk from Dixons put it in your PC and you were away!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivesy View Post
      Hi Thanks for the replies. I got this from Sky:

"Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

You should not be charged any more th an 5.00 per month for your broadband services in the forthcomin g year. I would also presume that you should be able to go on to the proper sky network in the next few months.

Sky has offered to subsidise the conn ection package which the fee is paid to BT. If at any time after the 1st of August you are charged more than the stated amunt in your con tract then let us know.

We will get this sorted for you asap, your contract states 5.00 per month for twelve months, then th e amount you will be paying for the service will be 5.00 for th at year per month.

I ideally hope that by August time yo u will be on the Sky servers not the BT. Even if we have not been abl e to switch you over by August Sky will keep your contract in tact as per fees. "

Apart from the lack of a spel l ch ecker I'm quite happy with that. Though reading between the lines I'm half expecting to be charged 17.99 in August as the words "should not" , "presume" , "ideally" and "hope" appear to stand out!

I don't want to sound like and old git (I'm 36) but wasn't life a lot simpler when you just got your Freeserve disk from Dixons put it in your PC and you were away!
      As i said above "Mid-Net [5 connect] for exchanges that will be upgraded before June 30" you will then receive a letter once your exchange is upgraded offering you three choices, remain on the 5 package' upgrade to MAX or downgrade to the Base [free] package.

PS. the rules state no-one can downgrade within the first 12 months - mid-connect packages are an exception to that rule.

sterankin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This has happened to me also. I signed up to the 'surf see speak' package which included 5 a month sky mid BB.

I got a letter the other day saying my bill would be 38 a month (i.e. 17 for the internet). When I rang sky I was put through to BB services where they explained that I would only be charged 5 a month for 6 months and I was getting a special offer, but before the 6 months ended the Sky Mid etc packages should be available in my area.

Hope so!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sterankin View Post
      This has happened to me also. I signed up to the 'surf see speak' package which included 5 a month sky mid BB.

I got a letter the other day saying my bill would be 38 a month (i.e. 17 for the internet). When I rang sky I was put through to BB services where they explained that I would only be charged 5 a month for 6 months and I was getting a special offer, but before the 6 months ended the Sky Mid etc packages should be available in my area.

Hope so!
      In your case m8, the letter would have said 17 [excluding any offers]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast