Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow speeds

This is a discussion on slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all,not sure if i am in the right section but here goes,i am on sky broadband connect and when ...

ciderlad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: harthill
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow speeds

hi all,not sure if i am in the right section but here goes,i am on sky broadband connect and when i go into my router settings it says that i am on 8128 kbps download speed and upload speed 448 kbps,i have tried loads of speed tests everyday and tried downloading various things i cant get above 1450 kbps down load speed,when i first went with sky i was getting speeds of 600 kb per second download but its now the speed of 1 and half meg basically,checked my pc for spyware ect and eventually reinstalled windows ,anyone any idea what the problem could be as i am pretty sure it has nothing to do with my pc as i am not new to this,also tried tester socket and no difference,i took the full socket of the wall and noticed that there is a bunch of wires in there but there is only 2 wires connected could this be the problem????or do you think there is a problem at the exchange????any help much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: slow speeds

Have alook at this thread (first post) and see if it helps.

Optimising your Broadband Connection

Ideally you should only have 2 wires connected to the master socket, numbers 2 and 5 I think.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

ciderlad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: harthill
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

already tried this and it had no effect, cheers dude,would like to know if those cables that are just hanging there could be part of the problem

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Best thing you can do is use mognut's utility to get your detailed router stats (see the sticky in the Tech Forum) and post them in the 'router stats' forum. Make sure you include all the appropriate info such as wired or wireless, using extensions, whether the results are from the test socket, etc.

That way the Techies can check your attenuation, noise margin, errors etc.

HTH
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db