Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Thar!

This is a discussion on Hello Thar! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi ho Just registered after finding this site through Digital Spy. So, Ive taken the plunge, moved home, got SKy+, ...

Fox McCloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEMI
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool Hello Thar!

Hi ho

Just registered after finding this site through Digital Spy.

So, Ive taken the plunge, moved home, got SKy+, live around 700meters away from the local EasyNet enabled exchanged and have registered my "Interest" into Sky BB.

Was told i have to wait for a letter in the mail with a BAND number, and then to call up with it to place the order.

Its all very exciting, but oh so very slow.

I work for virgin.net so ive got inside knowledge into the inner workings of an ISP. Sadly, those of you who are having problems with markers on the line etc that problem is with BT. Sky cant do anything to a line until they are on it and unbundling it. If there is a product already there then only companies that have signed a "Code of Conduct" with BT wholesale can rmove it themselves. Unformtuantly, not many have, and clearly Sky havnt either. So when Sky say its "BTs Problem" and BT say its "Skys Problem" its actually everyones, because A) you aint getting BB, b) Sky cant give you BB, and C) BT are being knobs.
      Its BT Wholesales problem, but because they have a MASSIVE backlog of people calling with the same problem, they are less than receptive to another marker hehe.

Well, jsut thought id let you know that.

So. Are you all having fun with Sky 16MB MAX ?
      And can I get it any faster? Or do i really have to wait for this BAND ?

2. Advertisement
      contraste is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bloomsbury aka Howland St
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm in the 'same slow boat going nowhere' as you. I really think Sky could have got this whole sign up process a lot smoother (and quicker). Sure I understand they want to avoid being swamped with orders but why continue to spend oodles of money advertising a service that they can't deliver? Maybe some of that (advertising) money could have been better spent dealing with eager customers.

Asking people to register their interest in a service is all well and good but surely you then have to deliver the service! All I have received is a series of less than useful emails from Sky saying 'you can have our service BUT we're not letting you have it just yet AND we're not going to tell you when you can have it' Ringing Sky is just as pointless, the response is we don't know when we can sign you up. This of course begs the question: Why?

The non supply of the essential routers to those fortunate to have signed up harks back to the debacle with the Sky STB boxes when the HD service started and thousands had their installation date bumped (sometimes more than once).

Sky is a very big and profitable company and should, by know, have the experience to handle a new service introduction.

Here endeth the rant!

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Yes it is true, and the same thing happens with either Sony or Microsoft gaming consoles every december.... You would think by now they would have realised that would be a big month for them!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Fox

Sorry to say but thats the way SkyBB are working BAND & MAC id you have one, I guess you could always try calling them and asking, nothing ventured nothing gained
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

contraste is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bloomsbury aka Howland St
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sky really are getting worse! I can't believe that after endless emails promising a service 'SOON' I received this email today:
      Thank you for registering your interest in Sky Broadband.

We will be offering a choice of three great options in your area:

Base (up to 2Mb) with FREE subscription — great for easy browsing, emailing and sharing photos. A one-off £40 activation fee is all you pay.

Mid (up to 8Mb) for only £5 a month — ideal if you wish to do more with broadband, like downloading music or short video clips. A one-off £20 activation fee is all you pay.

Max (up to 16Mb) which gives you unlimited downloading of everything from movies, sports clips and games for the ultimate broadband experience — for only £10 a month and includes the option of FREE home installation and FREE activation.

We are working to ensure Sky Broadband Base, Mid and Max are available to you as soon as possible. Naturally, demand is high, but we’re doing all we can to bring Sky Broadband to you without too much delay.

I wish they would stop promising a service they can't or won't provide.
      An honest 'It will take X weeks before we can provide a service to your address' would be a much better way to retain potential customers.

Fox McCloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEMI
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the welcome.

These are the availability results from Sam Knows:

BT ADSL broadband availability
      You are connected to the Middlesbrough telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
      Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 6.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
      You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
      You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
      You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
      You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 742 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

Your BT ADSL code is: GEGEGEZ

If I can get 8MB on ADSL MAX, can I only assume I'd get 14MB+ on ADSL2+ ?? I do hope so. Ever so use to 10MB NTL hehe, I love maxing out hte speed on usenet muahahha.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Your exchange is Easynet Enabled so yes you should see good speeds.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Welcome to the site Fox McCloud

Ive taken the plunge, moved home,
      all that to save a tenner a month - your brave hope everything goes ok

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isadora is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Hello Thar!

Hi Ringing Sky is completely pointless I agree but if you push them they'll refund the cost of your calls to them which are 0845 numbers and therefore expensive I did this and got £10 credit for the calls I'd made asking when I would be connected. What threw me over the edge was some young lady at Sky suggesting I could EMAIL them!!!

Isadora is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01732
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Hello Thar!

Hi me again, you seem to know your way around this site but I can't work out how to put a new post on the forum I can only reply which is why I'm asking you. Hope you can help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast