Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activated Not Activated ?

This is a discussion on Activated Not Activated ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last night I lost access to my Broadband using my old Router connected to Plusnet. As it stands I do ...

Ricin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Activated Not Activated ?

Last night I lost access to my Broadband using my old Router connected to Plusnet.

As it stands I do not have the Sky Broadband Router. So can not check if I have been reconected to Sky. Looking at the bits below. I would guess its moved me over from my old ISP to Sky.

When I use my old router and try to connect to my old ISP. I just get CHAP authorization failed. How ever there does seem to be better line stats. As in before I used to connect at about 2800. Now the router reports 3500. Its not connected but I guess it shows the line is at least active for ADSL. Also the router has a green active light it does not flash. But stays constantly on. Its a DG834 router I use.

Should I ring Sky and ask where the Router is ? or just sit tight. Thing is I have had no letter from them about activation etc. But could do with out the hassle of poor customer service and explaining the situation for 20 minutes. If its something that will follow on shortly.

Sky seem pretty poor at this whole thing. They dont seem to bother informing people of what is happening. I would think BT informed them back on the 14 th that something will happen on the 22 nd. Then again that would be far to easy LOL.

Placed 14 Mar 2007
      Description CHANGE
      Appointment No date yet
      Date due 22 Mar 2007
      Status Order completed
      Last update 22 Mar 2007
      Notes Your order has been completed.
      Items in this order
      Description
      PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN
      PROVIDE PROVIDE SMPF - SMPF EXISTS

Placed 22 Mar 2007
      Description CHANGE
      Appointment No date yet
      Date due 22 Mar 2007
      Status Order completed
      Last update 22 Mar 2007
      Notes Your order has been completed.
      Items in this order
      Description
      CEASE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN
      CEASE CEASE SMPF

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Activated Not Activated ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
      Should I ring Sky and ask where the Router is ? or just sit tight. Thing is I have had no letter from them about activation etc.
      Ring them and ask them if you line has been activated and if so where is both the router and the letter. I had the very same problem as you in that my line when dead early one morning when trying to log on via my old ISP so I phoned Sky when I got home from work and it turned out my line had been switched over to Sky but I had not been sent either the router or the letter. Both turned up two days later.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the input Alan. I will get onto them and find out whats happening..

Exchange:
      Thanks

Grrr well just rang Sky Customer Support if you can really call it that

I tell them that I seem to have been disconected from my old ISP have you connected me to Sky. As I still need my activation letter & router.

The robot (sorry young lady) tells me that. If you go onto Sky Connect you do not recieve your router until your line is activated. Then you have to wait 5-7 days before they send it. I say fine am I active then as I have lost connection with my old ISP.

To be honest I might as well have been speaking alien to the women. She must have had a piece of paper with if customer asks X then answer Y in front of her. She put me on hold for a couple of mins come back and said. Sorry your order got stuck in our system.

I say well that does not really make sense as someone had to tell BT to cut me off of my old ISP. She just repeats verbatim. Well we are fast once we sort it out. You are stuck in the system. I say again to her so Sky have not told BT to do anything to my phone line. They just did it.

She once again repeats you where stuck in the system. I hope that helps. Then says goodbye.

Really worried about this ISP now. I should have stayed with Plusnet. They where bad but at least you could speak to someone that could help.

Sat here now on Dial-Up first time in about 6 years not only is it slow its costing me a fortune in the call costs.

So I guess I wait another week and start the whole debarcle again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm well more confused now. Just rang Sky again for an update. Got hold of a guy that actually seemed to know what he is doing.

He said yes you are connected to the Sky Broadband Service and its live. Have you not received your router yet ? I said no. He said let me check disappeared come back and said if its not with me by Monday ring again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The same thing happened to me, I would guess you are on Connect! Disconnected from Plusnet and reconnected to Sky minutes later. The router arrived 3 days later. Unfortunately, Sky, for some reason known only to them, do not send out the router for a Connect activation until the line is actually changed. As I pointed out in a previous post, this makes a mockery of the online promise to reconnect in 30 mins to 2 hours if you are using a MAC. Although they have reconnected you, what use is that without the router? If you are going on to their LLU connection the router is sent out days and sometimes weeks, before the line activation. The router will arrive, just make sure someone is there to receive it, there are some really nasty stories about what happens if your router is not received and is returned to Sky. The few days wait could turn into weeks. Good luck!

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

most isp work this way now [aol.tiscalli etc ]it's to cut down the number of complaints ie i've got my router wwhy's my bb not working ,when is it going to work etc now they wait till bt confirm that the line is active and then send router ,whereas b4 they sent out router wether line was active or not

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

most isp work this way now [aol.tiscalli etc ]it's to cut down the number of complaints ie i've got my router wwhy's my bb not working ,when is it going to work etc
      Thats all very well if you are having a new connection, if you are moving with a MAC, there is no reason on earth why the router should be held back. They are just 'making a stick for their back' and complaints will continue.

SkyBroadbandSuck is offline Sky User Member
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      most isp work this way now [aol.tiscalli etc ]it's to cut down the number of complaints ie i've got my router wwhy's my bb not working ,when is it going to work etc now they wait till bt confirm that the line is active and then send router ,whereas b4 they sent out router wether line was active or not

Yes fine, no problem at all but doing it this way Sky should issue login details until you have the router from them.

pmcg