Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speeds

This is a discussion on Slow speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 5088 kbps 416 kbps Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.5 db Noise Margin 7.3 db ...

docsavage is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: farnham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Slow speeds

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5088 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 14.0 db

I'm only 2km from the exchange but my router gives a line attenuation of 49db which suggests to me the lines are going literally all round the houses before they get to me. My router is still giving me figures over 5mbps and various website tests claim I can get between 6-7. All speedtests on various websites give me 1800-2000kbps.

It suggests to me I'm still on some sort of 2mbps cap, even though our exchange has done LLU. Yesterday I wasted over an hour speaking to some tier 1 person (marvellous suggestions to improve speed like 'unplug your phone' - 'how can I continue talking to you then') and then being put on hold on the exorbitant 0870 number without the tier 3 dude coming on the line for over 20 minutes. they haven't answered any of me emails yet either.

I tried the mognuts thing which says I'm on g.dmt (I don't know what that is) and I got no connection when I changed it to ADSL2 or 2+.

Will tier 3 put me onto adsl2 or manage to bump me up to at least the 5mbps my router is claiming or is there something I can do myself to optimise speed? Am I destined to stay on a 2mbps service?
      Last edited by Saturday; 21-03-07 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Removed insult

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Slow speeds

Can you try this thread and see if it helps?

Optimising your Broadband Connection

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Welcome to the forum

No, looking at your stats, you've not been capped.

If you are on G.DMT you can't move yourself to another mode. In any event, with an attenuation of 49db you're almost certainly better off on G.DMT.

Please take a little time to read a few posts on the forum. Much good info can be found in the stickies.

Your slow speeds are likely to either be a poor wireless connection if wireless and/or incorrect TCP/IP settings (wired or wireless). See the second sticky in my signature at the bottom of this post.

PS. You may well have found the T1 person annoying but using an insulting description is quite unnecessary - (removed)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Slow speeds

Cheers for your welcome and help. The optimiser has managed to get me up to around 3.5-4 mbps. I didn't realise how much drop off you could get with a poor wireless connection too. I haven't tried it wired yet but those top figures are when the signal strength is 'very good'. I get less than 2mbps when it says 'low'.

I dare say I can get it even quicker if it is hardwired or i use my old router to get an 'excellent' connection.

Incidentally I apologise for my insulting of the tier one person, but this was borne out of large frustration after answering question after question when I had already provided answers. The 'unplug the phone from the microfilter' bit when i had already explained that I was calling from that line was annoying and the final straw was the waiting for half an hour on a high expense phone line with no-one answering.

what is the difference between g.dmt and adsl and why am I better of on it?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docsavage View Post
      I dare say I can get it even quicker if it is hardwired or i use my old router to get an 'excellent' connection.
      You should do - if you are connecting at 5088kbps expect ~4400kbps download speed.

Incidentally I apologise for my insulting of the tier one person.
      Yes they can drive anyone mad but they're forced by Sky to follow a script. Your insult was reasonably mild so no problem

what is the difference between g.dmt and adsl and why am I better of on it?
      Different technologies. G.DMT can't match ADSL2+ speeds for low attenuation lines but copes better with poorer quality lines. Both offer similar speeds for attenuations above about 42db to 45db so at this level or above, G.DMT is the best choice.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Your insult was reasonably mild so no problem .
      yeah it was, I've called people a lot worse in my time but he certainly didn't warrant any of those names!