Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Been With Sky Nearly a Month - just got bill from old ISP !!!!

This is a discussion on Been With Sky Nearly a Month - just got bill from old ISP !!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 30 days after the MAC was issued, it will expire, then I can manually cancel my account which will take ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Been With Sky Nearly a Month - just got bill from old ISP !!!!

30 days after the MAC was issued, it will expire, then I can manually cancel my account which will take 5 days.
      I think that is rubbish! There is nothing to stop you cancelling an account with anyone, it does not need to be done by you new provider. It is generally accepted that you should not cancel your account until you are connected to your new supplier, but if your old provider requires a month's notice, as many do, there is nothing to stop you giving your notice as soon as you receive the MAC. If you don't, I don't see how you can blame Sky, or your old provider. If you don't give notice to leave, your old supplier is quite within their rights to charge you, if their T&Cs require notice.

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

When I requested the MAC - that starts the 30 day notice period - at least Virgin confirmed that in the MAC e-mail:
      "The day you request your MAC code will also be the start of your 30 days notice period"
      I'm not sure i was proportioning any blame to either ISP - more to the fact that there is inconsistant information given depending on which operators you manage to speak to - The first call to Virgin, I was told that Sky have to tell them that i've migrated, then Sky said that they'd have told them ages ago, then back at Virgin i'm told the full story about MAC expiration etc - to me it kind of makes sense: Virgin issue a MAC and kick off a 30 notice period, if you migrate to a similar service ISP, they would be notified that you'd left. However if going from IP to LLU (different service) then the MAC doesn't get used, so Virgin have no knowledge (apart from me not being on their network!) - I know i'm not going to get out of the 30 notice period, but I think i'll ring them again on Tuesday jsut to make sure - I don't want to wait the 30 days only for them to turn around and say that as the notice period has lapsed, i need to start it again! I may have another ace up my sleeve though: I first requested my MAC on the 8th March, but due to an error on their system, they couldn't issue it - so i've actually already done 30 days???

Thanks

"The day you request your MAC code will also be the start of your 30 days notice period"
      If you have this in an email from them, then you can insist that you were under the impression that notice had been given and that you see no need to give it again. However, if you look at the quote in No 17 of this thread, it appears that Virgin are flouting the regulations by cutting off you connection. I know you want to be cut off, but this should be initiated by you, not them.

We all know that Virgin and Sky are not exactly the best of buddies at the moment and I think anything one of them can do to embarrass the other, they will do. I have no doubt that this has percolated down from Branson and Murdoch, to the lower echelons.

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I'm right in saying that, under the new rules, just because you ask for a MAC does not give your ISP the right to cease your service, indeed under the new rules, it is against the code of practice for them to do so, unless you said at the time that you were giving notice to quit (getting a MAC is not notice to stop using a service).

You can get a MAC at any time with no detriment to yourself or your contract.

From the: Broadband Service Provider Migration Code of Practice

11. The customers request to the LSP for an authorisation to migrate does not in itself represent a request to terminate service with the LSP. The LSP should not, therefore, disconnect the broadband service upon request for (or issue of) a MAC.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

shaggy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i think i am having similar issues with my parents broadband.

Transferred to Sky 'Connect' 5 quid offer , old ISP Pipex. Called up yesterday to ask if Modem has been sent yet and when will I be activated? Sky tell me the modem is in the post and will receive it in the next few days. THey also say that my line is now no longer Pipex. I connected to the broadband, using my Pipex router, pipex username and pipex password and can connect fine no problems. I also get a Pipex IP address so why are Sky saying they have taken over the line when they clearly havent??? The sky CS woman then proceeds to say 'oh...its perfectly possible to use your old pipex username/password even when we have taken over your line'

bull*()*()*)

I also called Pipex yesterday and they are saying Sky have not used the MAC Code provided so far??? Whats going on???

Oh joy...this and my other ongoing saga with Sky Broadband: Please Help Me With Sky Broadband Connection Issue

Im sure this will keep me busy for the next few weeks/months

Hogletia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I'm having the same problem moving from Virgin. I requested the MAC code from Virgin on 13th April and I was told that USE of the MAC code automatically cancels the direct debit. They did warn me that sometimes Sky don't actually use the MAC code, but use LLU and therefore the direct debit won't cancel.

Sky gave me a BB activation date of 26th April and on 25th April, my Virgin BB stopped working (would no longer recognise my name and password).

I wanted to check if the direct debit had been cancelled, so I kept phoning Virgin's billing dept, who claimed that they couldn't tell me if the direct debit had been cancelled until the 17th May.

I have just phoned them up (today being the 17th May) and they are telling me that it HASN'T been cancelled and I will have to give a further 30 days notice starting from today!!!

Their system is telling them that my Virgin BB is still active although I was kicked off on 25th April.

Any ideas, they are telling me to blame Sky because they didn't use the MAC code, but that doesn't seem logical.

I understand that I am responsible for cancelling my Virgin BB, but I have been charged extra because they wouldn't/couldn't tell me if they'd cancelled the DD for 21 days!!

Surely that is their fault

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep I would say that is there fault, just cancel the direct debit at the bank. If you sent them a letter keep a copy and produce that if they come after the money. They were saying on the radio this morning that customer service has gone right down since Virgin took over NTL.

Thanks

Most of the set up problems on the forum seem to involve either Virgin or TalkTalk, I wonder if there is more to it than a clash of incompetents.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Hogletia, - just out of interest - can you still log into your account on the Virgin website? if you can't - your account is closed, so i'd call virgin up and speak to the customer care / complaints department. Stay very calm and explain that your account closed on 25th april.
      If you can still sign into your accoun t on the website, then it looks like your account IS still open. It is possible for Virgin to close your account using a '5day cancellation' (mine only took a couple of hours) - perhaps you might get someone more helpful.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a similar problem with BT in that they wanted another months payment after I had migrated to Sky. It was only after I stopped the direct debit and sent them a email that things were sorted, although it took a month to get it all done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast