Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

They DIDN'T use my MAC code to go from Tiscali LLU to Sky BB ?

This is a discussion on They DIDN'T use my MAC code to go from Tiscali LLU to Sky BB ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I don't want you to think I am making excuses for Sky, but the process of moving from LLU to ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: They DIDN'T use my MAC code to go from Tiscali LLU to Sky BB ?

I don't want you to think I am making excuses for Sky, but the process of moving from LLU to IPstream is fraught with difficulties. Very few changes from LLU go smoothly. This is a quote from Kitz's forum on the subject.

Migration between LLU is proving troublesome, whilst the majority of users don't have too many problems going from IPStream to LLU, there has been some difficulties with LLU back to IPStream. There is currently a migration trial in place by BTw, but it does sometimes seem a little hit and miss. Some users have had to go through a full cease and reprovide
      I think it may be a case of Sky doing a 'silent' cease and reprovide, which causes a longer delay. When I switched from Plusnet on IP, I was down for 3 days, simply because the router had not arrived. The actual switch was done in less than an hour. Cease and provide on the other hand, can take 10-14 days if it goes smoothly.

2. Advertisement
      SkyBroadbandSuck is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't want you to think I am making excuses for Sky, but the process of moving from LLU to IPstream is fraught with difficulties. Very few changes from LLU go smoothly.
      I don't really understand all the differences between LLU & IPstream etc.

Only think I know was that an LLU - SHIFT SMPF was requested on 8th March and this was completed on 9th by BT.

Can only speak from experience as when I moved from BT to AOL then AOL to Tiscali I had no such problems.

I'm down as Stirling but I'll actually be on the Bannockburn exchange.

pmcg

nidave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broughton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBroadbandSuck View Post
      I don't really understand all the differences between LLU & IPstream etc.
      Sorry for the long post and I am sure someone will correct my lack of knoweledge.

Start with the easy part. LLU
      This is known as Local Loop unbundling (Spelling is bad please excuse)
      This is where the ISP puts their own equipment into the Exchange. BT Openreach then has to visit the exchange and physically move the copper wire that comes from your house to the exchnage into this new equipment.

Basically they take (part of) the line out of the BT equipment and put it into the new providers.

IPstream is basically using BT equipment into the exchange and the ISP having a Virtual connection from your house to the ISP servers.

There are other providers of this but just keeping it simple.

When you got from an IPStream provider to an IPStream provider all BT Wholesale has to do is change the destination of the traffic from you house to the new ISP. This is done remotely (in most cases)

If you go from IPstream to LLU - an engineer has to visit the exchange and physically move the line to the LLU provider’s equipment.

Same goes with a LLU to LLU transfer.

Where do MAC codes come into this? (Glad you asked)
      this is basically a code that says you give permission for the transfer to happen. Same thing with LLU MAC codes is this gives permission for the engineer to swap between the equipment in the exhange.

If you didn’t have the MAC code what would happen was a cease - this is where the engineer would visit the exchange and remove the line from the LLU provider then put it back into BT's equipment - they would then update the marker on the line. This can take a few days - you then are free to order from another provider and the engineer would need to go back out to the exchange and move the wire from BT's equipment to the LLU provider.

As anything to do with LLU involved an engineer visit from BT openreach you can see why it can take longer. Hover now MAC codes are in use this SHOULD make the process quicker.

Just so you know the Marker on the line is basically a note held by BT Openreach that shows who the line is connected to (as well as a load of other information)

I think a LLU shift is moving between LLU providers at the same time - so instead of going from LLU > BT > LLU it goes straight from one LLU prover to the other. LLU > LLU (as explained above)

This seems to me like a good idea as 1. It makes things quicker 2. it stops the need for a 2nd visit from BTo
      Last edited by nidave; 21-03-07 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Spelling and adding a few bits.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nidave View Post
      I think a LLU shift is moving between LLU providers at the same time - so instead of going from LLU > BT > LLU it goes straight from one LLU prover to the other. LLU > LLU (as explained above)
      Thanks for the detailed description, I'll try and get my head round all of this later.

The bit above has me confused though as Sky are not at my exchange (Bannockburn) so does that mean with this LLU-SHIFT I have to wait till they have their equipment there?

pmcg

nidave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broughton
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBroadbandSuck View Post
      Thanks for the detailed description, I'll try and get my head round all of this later.

The bit above has me confused though as Sky are not at my exchange (Bannockburn) so does that mean with this LLU-SHIFT I have to wait till they have their equipment there?

pmcg

I must have got that bit wrong - will try to find out what it is for you.

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

the bit above has me confused though as Sky are not at my exchange (Bannockburn) so does that mean with this LLU-SHIFT I have to wait till they have their equipment there?
      hi u were on a tiscalli llu [ie their equipment ]u go to sky on connect [ie they [bt disconect the cable from tiscallis llu and put it back onto your bt phone and charge sky ,sky then charge you the price of connect[£17.99?] but bt engineer has to physically disconect the adsl part of your line from tiscallis equpment and then move it back onto your line [hope thats a help ]

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are on the Bannockburn exchange, as I am, you should be able to get Connect at £5, until such time as the exchange is enabled. This is due to be done in the next couple of months. Put your phone number in the box on THIS PAGE and if it is an 81 number, it should confirm you can get Connect at a fiver. This is a very good deal, as long as you have Sky TV. How far are you from the exchange?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtr42 View Post
      hi u were on a tiscalli llu [ie their equipment ]u go to sky on connect [ie they [bt disconect the cable from tiscallis llu and put it back onto your bt phone and charge sky
      Guess that's what's confusing me as I didn't think Tiscali had any equipment at the exchange and I'm sure that the exchange search tool also showed this.

sky then charge you the price of connect[£17.99?]
      £5 for Connect then £5 for all (landline) UK calls and some international destinations.

[hope thats a help]
      Much appreciated.

pmcg

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are on the Bannockburn exchange, as I am, you should be able to get Connect at £5, until such time as the exchange is enabled. This is due to be done in the next couple of months. Put your phone number in the box on THIS PAGE and if it is an 81 number, it should confirm you can get Connect at a fiver. This is a very good deal, as long as you have Sky TV. How far are you from the exchange?
      Yep, Sky Connect for £5, I'm about 1.4km from the exchange.

Just put my number into the search and read what it says below, makes me mad.

Before you can order Sky Broadband, you will need a ‘MAC code’ to switch your broadband to Sky smoothly and with minimal disruption to your service.

pmcg

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sorry but your question states they DIDN'T use my MAC code to go from Tiscali LLU to Sky BB ?so assumed u were on tiscalli llu [

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast