Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi-Jacked line??

This is a discussion on Hi-Jacked line?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Im a newbie to this forum, but I seem to having a problem with Sky BB , that ...

rumpola is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi-Jacked line??

Hi All,

Im a newbie to this forum, but I seem to having a problem with Sky BB, that is similar but not exactly the same as others on here. I hope someone can help.

I had Sky BB installed on 27th Feb (switched from Tiscali) and it worked brilliantly for a week then nothing.

I rang TS, and they ran me through the usual (plugs, sockets etc), and asked if the green connection light is on, which it IS. This threw the guy I was speaking to, so he told me it would have to be elevated to a level 2, and I would be getting a call from someone within a week. I was pretty annoyed as a week is a long time without email access etc, but sort of understood as its a new product.

Well a week went past, so after 12 days I decided to call them back. After getting shunted about to various people in the Phillipines, who were trying to tell me its the phone exchange (I know its not as my neighbours BB is fine), they eventually put me through to someone in Scotland. He tried to getting me through to Level 2, and Level 3 as my case had been put on the priority list, but I couldnt get through (suprise, suprise). I was then put through to a supervisor as I said to the fella, I want my MAC code to switch to another supplier. The supervisor then said I couldnt have my MAC code as my line has been hi-jacked by my previous supplier, and there is nothing I can do about it! I suggested I speak to Tiscali myself, but was told that would only make matters worse. She couldnt even give me a ball park date of when I could hope to be back online. She said she would definately call me back last sunday @ 4pm, and obviously she didnt, and neither has anyone else.

I said it would seem that Sky dont have my MAC code, and im not allowed to speak to my previous ISP to see if they have it, so basically I have been left in Limbo. I cant get BB from Sky, and as they cant give me a MAC code, I cant switch to another supplier, unless I get another BT line installed into my house, which is just a pain and more costs.

Does anyone have any ideas??

2. Advertisement
      acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Hi-Jacked line??

Call bt and get them to switch off your phone line at 11.59pm and get them to re-activate it at 12.00am!

This closes your bt line down and you will get a final bill, you will then have a new BT account number just make sure you tell them you want the same number upon reconnection!

This solves your broadband problem!

Lupa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you are going through wireless or ethernet

1. Sign into router: 192.168.0.1
      Username: admin
      Password: sky or your own password
      2. Click wireless settings
      3. Don't change anything
      4. Press apply

Sometimes when I have been rebooting the router I have a green internet light but no Adsl port settings so I just do the above and my internet works again.

Try it, it might work
      Last edited by Lupa; 20-03-07 at 02:49 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is another on the forum in much the same position. I think it may be connected with the MAC not being applied correctly. Unfortunately, MAC transfers from LLU is still in it's infancy and a lot of mistakes are being made. I am sort of educated guessing when I say, that when an ISP supplies a MAC it is valid for 30 days. If the MAC is not applied properly within the 30 days the original ISP takes back the line. Asking for a MAC is not recognised by many ISPs as notice to quit their supply. This must be done separately. If you give your previous supplier notice that you want to quit their service on a given date, this should not happen.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I will try this when I get home (on work PC).

I will let you guys know how I get on.

Thanks

skytech superuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: NTL
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rumpola View Post
      Hi All,

Im a newbie to this forum, but I seem to having a problem with Sky BB, that is similar but not exactly the same as others on here. I hope someone can help.

I had Sky BB installed on 27th Feb (switched from Tiscali) and it worked brilliantly for a week then nothing.

I rang TS, and they ran me through the usual (plugs, sockets etc), and asked if the green connection light is on, which it IS. This threw the guy I was speaking to, so he told me it would have to be elevated to a level 2, and I would be getting a call from someone within a week. I was pretty annoyed as a week is a long time without email access etc, but sort of understood as its a new product.

Well a week went past, so after 12 days I decided to call them back. After getting shunted about to various people in the Phillipines, who were trying to tell me its the phone exchange (I know its not as my neighbours BB is fine), they eventually put me through to someone in Scotland. He tried to getting me through to Level 2, and Level 3 as my case had been put on the priority list, but I couldnt get through (suprise, suprise). I was then put through to a supervisor as I said to the fella, I want my MAC code to switch to another supplier. The supervisor then said I couldnt have my MAC code as my line has been hi-jacked by my previous supplier, and there is nothing I can do about it! I suggested I speak to Tiscali myself, but was told that would only make matters worse. She couldnt even give me a ball park date of when I could hope to be back online. She said she would definately call me back last sunday @ 4pm, and obviously she didnt, and neither has anyone else.

I said it would seem that Sky dont have my MAC code, and im not allowed to speak to my previous ISP to see if they have it, so basically I have been left in Limbo. I cant get BB from Sky, and as they cant give me a MAC code, I cant switch to another supplier, unless I get another BT line installed into my house, which is just a pain and more costs.

Does anyone have any ideas??

in a case of hi-jacked line its a department called Service Recover Team (SRT) who deal with it but the good deal is MAC codes if be a thing of the past they will be able to jump ISP at anytime without a mac code (remember you still got a contract so ensure you are not landed with a big final bill before you jump to different ISP),

if you contract bb tech department and ask to speak to the SRT department, the agent can contact them for you but its not a number they can will to you because its normally only tier 2 agents who can and deal with that department, but superusers and a few tier 1 agents do have that number

hope it helps

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help.

I tried to reset the router and re-applying the settings yesterday, but it didnt work unfortunately.

Funny thing is though, Sky did actually call me yesterday to explain what is happening.

It basically seems that Tiscali have put their tags back on my phone line, and Sky cant do anything about it, as its down to BT themselves. The fella admitted that he doesnt know how long this will take, but did suggest that I speak to BT and threaten to cancel my line entirely, unless they sort it out ASAP, as this has worked for another guy he was speaking to.

When I suggested I may switch the BT line off and re-activate the next day, he admitted that is another way around it, but I may get charged a connection fee.

He also offered to give me my MAC code, but did warn that as Tiscali have their tags on the line, it probably wouldnt work for another ISP anyway, which to be fair to him, thats probably true.

Im still without a BB connection, but at least they have rang me at last and explained what is happening.

Im debating which way to take this. Im not sure whether to just wait and hope for the best, or switch my BT line off/on, or whether to ring BT and get them to sort it out, while threatening to cancel my line. Any thoughts??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On the face of it, it seems this is Tiscali's fault, but if you look at my last post(17) in THIS you will see that if you did not give them notice and the MAC was not applied properly, they would be in default of the regulations. I think you should get in touch with Tiscali and advise them that you wish to leave and please take the tag of your line. BT will only remove the tag, if requested by the ISP, they can do nothing for individuals.