Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line capping

This is a discussion on Line capping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I posted a few weeks ago in regards to not receiving any internet through sky. Thanks for all ...

Mikeruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriers
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Line capping

Hi all

I posted a few weeks ago in regards to not receiving any internet through sky. Thanks for all your help those that suggested things to me, when i finally got through to sky and suggested these problems they did the proper checks and discovered you were right about tie pairs, however i now have another problem.

My internet speed is atrocious, the modem says it is connected at 128kbps for uploads and downloads, so im getting practically dial up speeds. I'm paying for the max package and was told i could technically get 17mb downloads, although capped to 16mb since thats the highest sky go. After calling sky they have raised a new tier 3 ticket, which means i have to wait at least another 5 days. I read on here about line capping whilst sky are doing test, is there anything i can do to get some speed now as my call to sky last night was fruitless, they said the capping is done at the exchange rather then electronically, is this correct? They told me they couldnt put me through to tier 3, despite doing it the last time i called. Any suggestions would be much appriciated.

2. Advertisement
      Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Line capping

I personally don't believe them when they say it has to done at the exchange. People on here have reported getting through to Tier 3 to have caps removed and it has been done while they were on the phone. Although, if the problem has been logged with Tier 3, as soon as they spot it, they may well rectify it straight away, so it could happen anytime.

Best advice is, now you have a ticket raised, ring again and try and get through to Tier 3 to explain you just want the cap removed. You may well get a call back within 5 days but, judging from the posts on here, I wouldn't hold your breath while your waiting.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Mikeruk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackfriers
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the help. Strangly, had a call whilst at work from tier 3, they did it over the telephone, so for anyone in the future that gets told capping is done at the exchange, dont accept that since its all done electronically (he called uncapped, and then called me back to let me know it worked). I think the most annoying part of the experience is that when i have got through to tier 3 they are very good at solving technical problems, its just a shame there is this 5 day wait to get anywhere. Saying all that, i havent actually checked my speed, although the guy did say it was connecting at 16mb now. Woo.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought they could do it over the phone but I wasn't 100%.

Glad you got it sorted

*Edit*: Also glad that I was proved right about removing caps and that I was proved wrong about them returning your call.
      Last edited by Lazarus; 20-03-07 at 01:49 PM.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

t3 dont need to call uncapping, logging into the exchange and is done on the fly when dealing with tickerts or customers on the phone.

hope that clears it up.

chosenman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01892
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: Line capping

Since getting my connection back after 10 days with a cease on the line, my connection speed has been only 110kbps. Phoned Sky Monday to complain and told that they will call back. Phoned again today (Wednesday) to complain and told that tier 3 is dealing with it and they are waiting for BT to call them back. So meanwhile I have to sit and wait for BT at their leisure. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Difficult one to answer. Perhaps sky are waiting for an all clear from BT, or more likely Tier 3 just haven't got round to your ticket yet.

Hopefully your ticket will come around soon and they'll contact you.