Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The end for fastpath ?

This is a discussion on The end for fastpath ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I am reasonably happy with my skybb but have got into an argument with sky t3 & cs ...

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The end for fastpath ?

Hi all
      I am reasonably happy with my skybb but have got into an argument with sky t3 & cs on the principle that I dont like being lied to and fobbed off.
      To cut a long story short I complained about poor dl speeds despite syncing at 8128. I asked for a new router which arrived and cured the problem. However at the same time t3 told me that they had capped me to 7616. i asked them to put it back and they said they couldn't (bt had done it !! despite t3 telling me they had done it). Then they took me off fastpath and blamed bt for that as well.
      This is the reply I got from cs :-
      Thank you for your email.

"Please accept my apologies for the continued problems that you have encountered.

After contacting our Tier 3 department, I note that one of our engineers got you back to 8Mb and you were aware of this. I have contacted them again concerning the issues you have outlined below and I have been advised that Sky no longer support fastpath and we are changing any customers on fastpath onto interleave.

As you are a Connect customer, we cannot change any settings on your line. If you have been changed to interleave, it will have been BT who have done this. Our tier 3 department have advised that this may be because BT no longer support interleave as fastpath is quite unstable."

Anyone have any thoughts on this before I reply asking what service they do support as from the above they dont seem to support either ????????
      cheers
      dave

2. Advertisement
      welshwales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caerphilly
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: The end for fastpath ?

the problem with the fastpath/interleaving debate is that despite saving several hundred calls on stability by using interleaving it will also generate several more calls from people requesting why its on in the first instance

swings and roundabouts as they say!

Thanks

cheers
      know what you are saying. what I was trying to say is - is this a sky policy or am i being fobbed off ( as I suspect ) from the number of people on here who are on fastpath. or is fastpath really being phased out ?

Thanks

Apologies for bumping this back up but I just wondered if anyone has any info on whether sky are actually moving people on mass from fast to interleave ?

angstmann is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Spennymoor, Co. Durham
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thing is, Fastpath allows you to sync at a higher rate and as such achieve greater maximum speeds. I have always been of the opinion that my line can handle a full 8mb connection on Fastpath, but BT (or their machinery) seem to think different. Maybe when I finally move over to ADSL2+ I will see what this line is truly capable of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angstmann View Post
      Thing is, Fastpath allows you to sync at a higher rate and as such achieve greater maximum speeds. I have always been of the opinion that my line can handle a full 8mb connection on Fastpath, but BT (or their machinery) seem to think different. Maybe when I finally move over to ADSL2+ I will see what this line is truly capable of.
      The thing that peeves me is I used to be on fastpath @ 8128. A replacement for a faulty router cured this but since then they capped me and took me off fastpath. i guess its their way of getting back at me for complaining !!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The thing is it's not quite as straightforward as to simply assume Fastpath will give a faster connection.

The mechanism for ADSL Interleaving will reduce the maximum line rate achievable. I don't know the exact amount for ADSL2+ but as an example, BTw state that it will typically reduce the maximum line rate on ADSL Max (Connect) from 8128kbps to 7616kbps. That's about a 7.5% "hit", not huge but significant. But what really matters when considering speed is the download speed not the connection speed.

If you compared two perfect lines, one Interleaved, one Fastpath, then the Interleaved line would deliver a lower download speed.

However, if you compared two noisy lines, one Interleaved, one Fastpath, then the Interleaved line would deliver a faster download speed. Why? Because on anything other than a very clean line, fastpath will not cope well with the data errors caused by line noise and that data will have to be retransmitted.

So if it's pure download speed you are after then, depending on your line condition (i.e. noise/attenuation), Interleave may well give a better result.

Of course many people's main complaint about Interleave is the effect on latency. That's not debatable - an Interleaved connection will typically be 20-40ms slower than a Fastpath connection. Not a problem for the vast majority of people but an issue for gamers.

yodasarmpit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      Apologies for bumping this back up but I just wondered if anyone has any info on whether sky are actually moving people on mass from fast to interleave ?
      No idea if there is any truth in that, but I'm still on fast path, sync'd at 8128 and downloading at 7meg.
      I don't want that to change as I do game a fair bit.

Thanks

Cheers Saturday, I've certainly noticed the change in latency although I cant say it has affected my gaming tho - perhaps thats coz i'm not very good ? lol
      What i am trying to determine is are sky fobbing me off or are they actually doing away with fastpath.
      Sorry to keep going on about this - i'm beginning to feel guilty as there are others in a lot worse position than me.
      cheers
      dave

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Talking recently with a T3 guy, he said that Interleave is the default. However, he acknowledged that some customers are still being connected on Fastpath - he didn't know why. My own suspicion is that it is either down to exchange equipment differences or an inconsistent application of profile set up rules/procedures.

However, if Interleave is the default then I'd have thought it entirely likely that should Sky examine a line for whatever reason and see that is on Fastpath they change it to Interleave. With the massive number of customers they now have they would need to create an automatic system to trawl through all existing connections to check them. I doubt they've done that but I suppose it's possible. In the case of Connect customers, I assume it would have to be BT that did this.