Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Question

This is a discussion on ADSL Question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, sorry if this has already been answered At night when the noise level rises and the adsl stops working ...

noomsybaby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Derby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question ADSL Question

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered

At night when the noise level rises and the adsl stops working is it possible (other than mossywells excellent utility) to get the router to automatically recalibrate itself ?? Is it just sky's firmware that doesn't do this or if I had a different provider where I could use another router would I still have the same problems when the noise level increases ???

Just need some advise from those in the know !!! It is driving my other half nuts when it drops, keep telling her we should keep router switched on at all times to get best noise free rate but she doesn't like leaving things switched on overnight, sigh, back to square one tomorrow !!!

TIA

Neil

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Question

ADSL2 and + should automatically adapt itself to changing line conditions using a protocol called SRS (Seamless Rate Adaptation). Unfortunately, in common with many (all?) other ISPs, Sky have not successfully implemented this feature - yet.

In the meantime there is no automatic method available other than Mossywell's utility (not the same in any way as SRA but serving the same purpose in the use you describe).

Whilst I admire your wife's green aims, the router is designed to be left on and consumes about the same amount of power as a nightlight.

noomsybaby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Derby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ADSL Question

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      ADSL2 and + should automatically adapt itself to changing line conditions using a protocol called SRS (Seamless Rate Adaptation). Unfortunately, in common with many (all?) other ISPs, Sky have not successfully implemented this feature - yet.

In the meantime there is no automatic method available other than Mossywell's utility (not the same in any way as SRA but serving the same purpose in the use you describe).

That what I thought, but trying to explain it to her is the problem , used to have NTL which never had any problems like this, but thats a cable connection !!

Whilst I admire your wife's green aims, the router is designed to be left on and consumes about the same amount of power as a nightlight.
      Not green aims, more like anti read and orange (worries it will set fire to the place !!!