Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

£10 Unlimited Internet with Sky or Virgin?

This is a discussion on £10 Unlimited Internet with Sky or Virgin? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm after an unlimited broadband service. I've been with Sky since 1999 and currently paying £37 per month for Sky ...

DeeLondon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

£10 Unlimited Internet with Sky or Virgin?

I'm after an unlimited broadband service.
      I've been with Sky since 1999 and currently paying £37 per month for Sky Plus (with a view to get another Sky + Box for downstairs)

I reckon I download about an average of 30GB to 50GB per month

I see Virgin Media are offer 2mb/s Unlimited Broadband for £10 per month and Sky offer upto 16m/bs unlimited for same money.

ATM I'm with PlusNet paying £13.50 per month for 8mb/s package but speed tests show I get a maximum of about 6.9 mb/s

Trouble is with PlusNet I get upto 50GB of bandwidth BUT it's only between midnight to 4pm

From 4pm to midnight there's a peak time limit of 4GB per month - which I find a real pain.

Anyway I'm on an LLU with PlusNet and I believe this means several weeks without any internet to switch to Sky and maybe a lot of hassle?

We've never had Cable but rang them and they said they can install internet within 14 days .. with 30 days to cancel if not satisfied. Only worried about the next 12 months - sure better offer will be out there this time next year.

So what is more reliable?

Cable or ADSL with Sky?

I mainly email and surf and view utube video's and use a hardware SIP phone for VoIP

what would you guys recommend? Virgin or Sky for the next 12 month?
      Last edited by DeeLondon; 16-03-07 at 10:28 AM.

2. Advertisement
      bigdan676 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: £10 Unlimited Internet with Sky or Virgin?

To be really honest, if you want a reliable speed get virgin, that way you are paying for the speed that is advertised, i can't speak for everyone when i say that, but from my experance virgin is better,
      Sky is well priced but is not as reliable, while wirtting this it has gone off twice, my speed is about 300Kbps and i am still waiting for them to change my package from connect to mid, as it is now enabled in my area for about a month now.

So there you have it
      Sky= well priced
      Virgin= reliable

regards
      Dan

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from £5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: £10 Unlimited Internet with Sky or Virgin?

Well my sky is well priced and has been 100% reliable. Although, I do think that if you want the reliability of cable, and are not bothered about the speed, then you should probably go for the cable. If you need to decide between ADSL suppliers then I think it's a 'no-brainer' for me: sky every time.

There have some horror stories about switching between suppliers although, generally, it does seem to go very quickly and smoothly (within the hour most times).

I don't think you'll ever get a definative answer to your question, but good luck with whoever you choose.
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My next door neighbor has Orange Broadband and he says after 4pm his internet slows right down ... I think because all the kids in the local area come home from school and log on.

As far as I understand it ADSL varies a lot depending on how many people are on at the same time as yourself? Especially if you're with someone really popular and I'm thinking there's not many people as well know as Sky, plusnet who I'm with only have about 200,000 customers I think in the whole of the UK.. been with them for 2 years and I think they're very reliable and excellent website that allows users to customise their settings and do a lot of things you'd probably have to ring sky to do.

I assume 2mb/s via cable is enough to do all the real time stuff, like watch online video, listen to internet radio, etc? I have heard rumor the 2mb/s might be increase to 4mb/s later in the year.

I'm just fed up of having to wait until midnight every single day to do anything major online.

Anyway thanks for the response look forward to hearing from anyone else who has experience of both companies.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

There have some horror stories about switching between suppliers although, generally, it does seem to go very quickly and smoothly (within the hour most times).
      That's what worries me .. I'd requested my MAC code maybe 6 months ago from PlusNet and was determined to find a new supplier but then found all sorts of problems because of the LLU situation on the local telephone exchange - I believe PlusNet rent Tiscali equipment at the exchange and every company I talked to said you'd have to totally disconnect the service, leave it for a few weeks and then apply to AOL, Sky, etc.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can't see why that should be your problem but if that's what you have been told then perhaps the cable is the best way to go. I take it the cable is a 12 month contract? Maybe you could get the minimum contract for cable and and sort the line out while you have the cable.

There have been a number of people on here who have been caught between sky, bt and other suppliers. Nobody seems to know who's fault it is, as they all seem blame each other.

Sorry I can't offer you any better advice.

Hopefully someone else can offer an opinion?
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

Ricin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi first post for me. But if its of any help Sky recently changed there situation on the LLU thing. You no longer need to disconnect to get reconnected to another supplier.

I put my phone number in Sky’s web site it said I can get connect for £5 per month. Also said I need a MAC code.

I got the MAC code from Plusnet I like you am on there Tiscalli LLU. Rang Sky last Friday. Told the lady I am on LLU and I have a MAC code order went through touch wood no problem.

Just waiting on letter Router etc to arrive.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, just realised that Plusnet are now owned by BT who, technically, own the LLU equipment at your exchange. So Bt, who own Plusnet are renting the equipment to Tiscali and you are thinking of joining Sky. The plot thickens.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yeah what I'm thinking is if I go with Virgin - then I'm dealing direct with the supplier.

With ADSL everyone at someone point is at the mercy of BT and I heard there's something like 40,000 Sky Digital customers waiting to get Broadband cos loads have left Virgin cos there's no Sky One on there anymore. I can just imagine being in some kinda triangle with Plusnet, BT, Sky all blaming each other if something goes wrong. Was thinking at least with Virgin there's only one company to contact if all goes wrong.

I was only getting 1mb/s on ADSL even though it should have been much higher as the local exchange was so close, in the end found out a box BT installed years ago when the line broke in a storm was killing the signal. At the time (before we found out why the connect was so bad) I rung my ISP , they blamed BT, there was talk of BT engineer coming around but if nothing was found it would be a £150 call out charge, etc)

I'm expecting later in the year maybe 6 months down the road Tiscali will be offering the £19.99 per month package which includes 8mb/s unlimited + line rental + caller display.
      Last edited by DeeLondon; 16-03-07 at 11:58 AM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
      Hi first post for me. But if its of any help Sky recently changed there situation on the LLU thing. You no longer need to disconnect to get reconnected to another supplier.
      Hi Ricin, welcome to the site

That certainly should be how it happens. Some LLU providers have previously refused to agree on how the MAC's should be processed, they instead required a cease to be put on the line first. But, judging by recent posts, sky are now accepting MAC codes. Although some people may disagree it should all go through without a hitch.

Broadband switch rules changed.

Broadband switch rules changed - Web User News

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast