Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Appreciate a look and some advice..Thx

This is a discussion on Appreciate a look and some advice..Thx within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have joined sky on the 26 a month, with the up to 8mb BB I think this is ...

sterankin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Appreciate a look and some advice..Thx

I have joined sky on the 26 a month, with the up to 8mb BB I think this is Mid? The line was activated on Friday, so its nearly been a week. I am using the wireless router. My computer is upstairs and the router is in the downstairs hall beside the phone line. Signal strength is excellent - 36 to 54Mbps.

Thought my D/L speeds should be higher this seems to be like 512k

As the crow flies, I am 2km from my exchange. Sky informed me I should be able to get 6.5Meg which would be very nice.

Router settings Auto 108 on channel 6 (cannot change channel it is greyed out with the auto 108 option).

Speed test:
      Download Speed: 494 kbps (61.8 KB/sec transfer rate) should be more??
      Upload Speed: 321 kbps (40.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Router Stats:
      System Up Time 50:10:08
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 6594 8706 0 11 53 50:09:47
      LAN 10M/100M 2512 0 0 4 0 50:10:06
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 10234 15298 0 53 11 50:04:49

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 768 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.9 db 9.0 db

The attenuation seems very high, perhaps the cause - will this resolve itself once the ten day training period is up, or is this a permament feature?

Thanks folks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Appreciate a look and some advice..Thx

Welcome to the forum

Have a quick read through the two stickies in my signature at the bottom of this post. The first will explain a bit about the stats you've posted (attenuation, noise margin etc), the second will give you some ideas how to improve your download speed, though you will need to improve your connection speed first. I suspect you have some noise issues too so please have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum too.

BTW - if you are on Mid there is no training period. Also, whatever package you are on, your attenuation will stay pretty constant. Lastly, your noise margin has dropped rather low - again, see the first sticky.

HTH
      Last edited by Saturday; 15-03-07 at 10:46 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Saturday - I have already read the guides but not sure there is anything I can do. Except live with it

Exchange:
      Thanks

Still not sure what it is you have to "live with"

Your straight line distance may well be 2km but your actual line length is ~4.6km (63.5db).

Your maximum connection speed is @2250kbps with that attenuation. You are only getting 768kbps so the likelihood is you have a noisy line. Comparing the speed connected to your test socket would show what scope you have for improvement.

Connected at 768kbps your maximum download speed is ~650kbps. You say you're getting 494kbps. The shortfall is either down to your wireless connection, an overloaded test server or incorrect TCP/IP settings.

To change your wireless channel you have to take it off 108 auto.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again, I was reading the help section and realised that my microfilter was not connected directly to the master phone socket. There was a sky double adapter in first, then the microfilter. I'm not sure what difference this would make, but now I have put the micro filter in first, with the sky box and phone into the microfilter along with the router.

Doesnt seem to have made any difference!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2304 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 9.0 db

although the connection speed seems faster..listed above, still getting 450kbps dl...

will try a reboot or something.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sterankin View Post
      Doesnt seem to have made any difference!
      Apart from the fact you're now connecting at your maximum speed.

although the connection speed seems faster..listed above, still getting 450kbps dl...

will try a reboot or something.
      Please read the posts. It's very frustrating giving answers that are ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      The shortfall is either down to your wireless connection, an overloaded test server or incorrect TCP/IP settings.
      I pointed you at the two stickies in my sig plus gave you a response to every one of your points. I'll try one more time.

I estimated your maximum speed at ~2250kbps. Your latest stats show 2304kbps but again your noise margin is too low at 5.4db. See the first sticky.

Your connection speed is not your download speed. As I said before, download speed is always lower than connection speed (about 85% of it due to transmission overheads). You're not getting 85% and I gave you the probable reasons - listed above again. See the second sticky for TCP/IP settings. If that doesn't fix it (and assuming you are using a decent test server) then its your wireless connection. Try a wired connection to confirm.
      Last edited by Saturday; 17-03-07 at 12:35 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again - I tried the optimizer but made no difference.
      Looking at DSL ZoneUK - Broadband checker - it says where I am that there is no LLU for sky? If I am not on LLU what does this mean, am I on sky connect (I signed up to the surf, speak see package a couple of weeks ago).

Removed the faceplate and there was a phone line connection behind it, so I hooked the microfilter etc into it but it didnt help the speed any. I tried just hooking in the router directly on its own - using the tiny cable from the microfilter - but I could not get connected at all this way.

I feel a bit cheated since sky told me I could get about 6.5MBps connection .

Anyway thanks for the advice and sorry for the trouble, do you think I can ring sky and complain, can they get BT to do anything about my line?

Exchange:
      Thanks

do you think I can ring sky and complain, can they get BT to do anything about my line?
      Good grief, I can't spell it out any clearer

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR LINE.

For the third and last time, if not TCP/IP settings or an overloaded test server, your slow download speed is almost certainly caused by your wireless connection. I suggested you test wired - you ignored the advice again, as you have practically everything else I've posted to try and help you.

I'll leave this thread now. Maybe someone else can communicate better with you than I am able to.