Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pipex to Sky to Demon - how will it work?

This is a discussion on Pipex to Sky to Demon - how will it work? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I tried to move to Sky BB Max from Pipex. I got a MAC code and on 23 Feb my ...

skyrdrivingmeinsane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Pipex to Sky to Demon - how will it work?

I tried to move to Sky BB Max from Pipex. I got a MAC code and on 23 Feb my broadband died (Pipex gone).

Sky engineer came to install TV and drop off router on 1 March.

Tv installed fine - I already had Freesat so it was just a matter of swapping the boxes round !

I also had a router pre-wired, so again, it was a simple matter of swapping the router round. However although the router's modem told me there was a BB line - 1 MB (same as Pipex!), I could not connect - no IP address. Sky test showed error 300 - ie Tier 3.

Surprisingly (!) Tier 3 never got in touch and so got really frustrated. Lots of phone calls where I spoke with incompetents, I realised that Sky did not have a clue why I could not connect - one suspicion of mine is, did the Sky engineer give me the right router - given it was hard coded with my user details - who knows?

Anyway, cancelled Sky TV and Broadband by letter, fax and email, and requested a MAC code. That was hard work.

Surprisingly(!) no MAC code came.

In between I spoke with BT Wholesale who said that Sky had never utilised my MAC code !

So I quickly signed up with Demon using the MAC code that Pipex had given me.

That was on 8 March.

I have just spoken with Demon who confirmed (twice) that my BB will go live on 19 March.

However, when I spoke with BT wholesale, they said that Demon cant take over my line as it is with Sky. I explained that previously they had told me Sky had not used the MAC code. He said that information was wrong - ahhh!!!

BT Wholesale have asked me to contact Sky to get a cease order on my line and then it will be clear within 10 working days.

I spoke with Demon who say that no need for that as it will go live on 19th.

By the way after much huffing and puffing a MAC code was released to me last night.

I dont wish to speak with Sky at all, but what should I do? If I need to speak to Sky, who do I speak to, and what is the easiest way to get this sorted.

Any help appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Pipex to Sky to Demon - how will it work?

If you need to speak to Sky use the freephone number 0800 0512595, but if Demon say it'll be OK then it should be, BT tend to get mixed up as well, may be worth checking the order tracker - you need the one for landline not broadband, it's in the small business part IIRC, even though it is a residential line.

Sorry to here of your problems, the Sky service is very good IMHO, they just have CS problems due to heavy demand.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Nick

I have just checked the BT tracker (business) and although I can see the line being transferred to Sky on 23 Feb, I dont see any mention of a request from Demon on this account - and that is what the guy at BT wholesale said.

Demon should have put in a request by now - I ordered over a week ago.

I am really confused. I am now stuck between BT, Sky and Demon. No broadband and no real prospect of it soon.

Wife will kill me - already kids cant do their homework for 3 weeks, and she cant check her email !!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh

UndeadDevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

HaHa enjoy the awfull ISP you've chosen, there as bad as pipex. I finally got off Demon. Customer Support that doen't understand you (Indian) and hang up on you randomly. Speeds of 1mbps when your lucky, billing you for the wrong amounts, being capped to 128kbps after downloading more than 30gbs are the things you'll enjoy from Demon. Sky are much better....

Edit: Noticed you only got 1mbps anyways.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ohh bugger

UndeadDevil I would love to stay with Sky, but they cant connect me and despite several promises to do so, I have no confidence in them.

At the moment I need BB - and so no choice.

I chose Demon because of their Newsgroup access, and years ago they were pioneers. I know have second thoughts ....

kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I agree with the comments about Demon. It's really sad because in the early days they were pioneers in the field of broadband connectivity, then of course thay sold out!

I then went to another small pioneering outfit called Eclipse and yes you guessed it, they sold out too!

So here I am on Sky and you know what......Yes there are a few problems with the service and the support and it isn't quite as plug and play as Sky would I think like, but it works well, so welcome to the new world

Kevlong

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyrdrivingmeinsane View Post
      Ohh bugger

UndeadDevil I would love to stay with Sky, but they cant connect me and despite several promises to do so, I have no confidence in them.

At the moment I need BB - and so no choice.

I chose Demon because of their Newsgroup access, and years ago they were pioneers. I know have second thoughts ....
      Have you spoken to Tier 3? They allways seem to be able to help me. (Demon don't have people as well trained as Sky's Tier 3 on the phones, let alone sitting in a office managing the network )

I understand you need broadband, maybe use your Mobile phone if its 3G (Bluetooth + T-Mobile Web'n'Walk/Orange 1 a Day Orange World)

If your hoping for decent newsgroup access then I'm sorry, I went for HomeOffice for the newsgroups, i was very disappointed. The Text retention is abot 3 days, let alone binarys. Alot of posts just never show up there so I had to stick to Google Groups.

It is a shame about Demon, you know Thus have been trying to sell Demon for over half a year now? No one want's to buy Demon.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Edit: Noticed you said Tier 3 never called you back, Its the same for me, they never do. You have to get put through to them by Tier 1, however the number for Tier 3 is on this site. I'm sure if you spoke to Tier 3 the problem would be solved! It sounds like theres a problem with the router or the Exchange Equipment.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks, I will look for the number for Tier 3.

I am using my phone to check emails, but simple things like finding a driver for my Nokia phone cant be done cos I dont have BB ...

Ahhhhhhhh

Josh01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadDevil View Post
      HaHa enjoy the awfull ISP you've chosen, there as bad as pipex. I finally got off Demon. Customer Support that doen't understand you (Indian) and hang up on you randomly. Speeds of 1mbps when your lucky, billing you for the wrong amounts, being capped to 128kbps after downloading more than 30gbs are the things you'll enjoy from Demon. Sky are much better....

Edit: Noticed you only got 1mbps anyways.
      NO THERE NOT SKY ARE JUST AS BAD. sEE MY ADVENTURE WITH SKY NOW A HAPPY BUNNY WITH Be

Sky killed my line by not using my MAC code ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast