Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very Low Speeds and Router Reboots

This is a discussion on Very Low Speeds and Router Reboots within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am on the Sky Max package and recently (in the past 3 weeks or so) I have been ...

rohanale is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Post Very Low Speeds and Router Reboots

Hi,

I am on the Sky Max package and recently (in the past 3 weeks or so) I have been having a serious drop in speed. Every evening I come home I have to reboot my router in order to get a decent speed. I tend to find that my downstream speed has dropped to about 500kps.

I am concerned anyway because my speed is very low in the first place and was wondering if there was a way to know if my speed has been capped.

The highest downstream speed I have ever had is 3008kps and I'm not sure if this is correct. I am connected to an extension in the house and I guess this might have some bearing. When I first got my Sky Broadband connected I connected my router to the master socket and get the same stats. I haven't tried it recently though and will try that tonight and post the results here.

Here are my current router stats :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3008 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 13.8 db 13.0 db

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Very Low Speeds and Router Reboots

Start by turning off uPnP in the router as many people have solved problems by doing this. The other thing to consider is to retrain the router late at night when attentuation and noise margin are generally poorer. This will give the router the ability to hold on to the signal better.

Search the forums for details on how to do the above.

Kevlong

rohanale is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks.

uPNP is already off.

I will try do the router retraining you suggest.

rohanale

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

newsreader will give you some more help, but as your attenuation is 50db, you cant exactly be close to the exchange, i have a feeling you wont get much more download speed then you are geting, but i could be wrong.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had similar problems, my speed was good but keeped dropping even to the point the the router disconnected, After month's of fiddling around trying different routers etc, I ran this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 and downloaded the detailed router stats, turns out my line was generating thousands of CRC errors 300000 over a day and a half, plugging into the master socket didn't help but last night I disconnected the bell wire in all my extension sockets leaving just 2 wires connected, cant remember which pin it was connected too but if you search in this forum the info is there somewhere. Well my noise margin shot up immediately, I have only generated 300 errors in the last 24 hours and connection is fast and constant!
      BTW the bell wire is not used on modern telephones.

bristewart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The bell wire is connected to terminal 3, and the wire is usually orange in colour (well it is in my house anyway).

Mine is currently still connected and my broadband connection works fine. However, I have an ADSL splitter faceplate, so perhaps the bell wire no longer has any effect to the extension upstairs?

SNR is 8.9dB, but I'm getting even more CRCs than you: 1678208 over a period of 1.5 days!!

Anyway, I think I'll disconnect all the bell wires in my house tonight and see if this reduces the CRC errors, and improves the SNR further. I might also try comparing with the master test socket behind the faceplate too.

Jim2708 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glossop
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bristewart View Post
      The bell wire is connected to terminal 3, and the wire is usually orange in colour (well it is in my house anyway).

Mine is currently still connected and my broadband connection works fine. However, I have an ADSL splitter faceplate, so perhaps the bell wire no longer has any effect to the extension upstairs?

SNR is 8.9dB, but I'm getting even more CRCs than you: 1678208 over a period of 1.5 days!!

Anyway, I think I'll disconnect all the bell wires in my house tonight and see if this reduces the CRC errors, and improves the SNR further. I might also try comparing with the master test socket behind the faceplate too.
      Let me know how you go on, my CRC for the last 13 hours is 4980, but I don't know if that's bad or not.

Even stranger is that I'm still connected even though my SNR is way below 6.0 current stats are:

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 5.6 13.0
      Attn(dB): 47.0 29.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 8320 1056
      Rate (Kbps): 7616 768

It's gone up slightly, SNR was 5.3db when I started typing this but it hasn't gone past 5.7 in the last hour.

Cheers,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed: 7296 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 47.0 db 29.0 db
      Noise Margin: 7.4 db 12.0 db

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2708 View Post
      Let me know how you go on, my CRC for the last 13 hours is 4980, but I don't know if that's bad or not.

Even stranger is that I'm still connected even though my SNR is way below 6.0 current stats are:

Down Up
      SNR (dB): 5.6 13.0
      Attn(dB): 47.0 29.0
      Pwr(dBm): 19.8 12.3
      Max(Kbps): 8320 1056
      Rate (Kbps): 7616 768

It's gone up slightly, SNR was 5.3db when I started typing this but it hasn't gone past 5.7 in the last hour.

Cheers,
      Errors seem high to me and more SNR is low, I believe if it drops below 5 your router is likely to hang or disconnect!

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Errors seem high to me and more SNR is low, I believe if it drops below 5 your router is likely to hang or disconnect!
      Mine always drifts under 5, gets to about 3.9 then disconnects. Is there an option anywhere to alter the default?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post
      Mine always drifts under 5, gets to about 3.9 then disconnects. Is there an option anywhere to alter the default?
      Yes you can use this Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4 to pin the noise ratio to a certain level, but it may reduce your speed. Change can be cleared by reseting router. I would check wiring etc first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast