Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Gone from BAD to WORSE!

This is a discussion on Gone from BAD to WORSE! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since I was connected on the 21st Feburary to sky's connect package I have had problems. My main problem was ...

acoolwelshbloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Swansea Main
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Swansea, UK.

Gone from BAD to WORSE!

Since I was connected on the 21st Feburary to sky's connect package I have had problems. My main problem was everytime I rebooted my router it would sync high but have a low Noise Margin, my stats would be something like 7008kbps with a Noise Margin of around 5.4db depending on what time of day I rebooted it but the Noise Margin would always be between 5-6db regardless of what it synced at!

Now your thinking why keep rebooting it? In the evenings anytime after 5pm (ish) I would have no connection to the internet even though the router indicated an active connection I put this down to my Noise Margin falling to around 0.4db!

I tried using that netgear config program to force my router to sync at a lower speed in order to give me a higher Noise Margin and it worked! For example at around 6.30pm I set it to resync with a noise margin of 12db this would fall to around 7db after an hour or so but in the day time it would indicate around 16db. Basically my Noise Margin was dropping dramatically in the evenings and preventing me to surf!

Now I complained to Sky, after all I shouldn't have to keep using a third party program to try and keep me connected to the net! (He Agreed) anyway the wife is moaning at me because everytime she goes to use the net in the evenings it never seems to work!

(I had to keep re-syncing it using the netgear application until I had a good Noise Margin!)

Well I have been changed from fast path to interleave today and now things are worse even though my stats look better???

Everytime I reboot I have a Noise Margin of around 9.0db and a sync speed of around 6330 depending on the time of day but now my whole connection keeps dropping out?

It started this morning and has been like it all day. My router went offline for over 20 mins as it dropped the connection and just kept trying to re-train at 5.30pm tonight. I have tried three different routers and about 6 filters ohh and my router has been plugged straight into the test socket located on the main bt socket but the same?

Anyone know why my connection would drop and fail to re connect since going on interleave? it never done that before!

P.s. I should piont out that a BT engineer will be calling around my place between 1-6 but I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong my end as I only had the line installed just over two years ago and I had a steady 1mb aol connection back then and never had a problem! Ohh I should point out my line can only handle speeds of 4.5mb due to the distance so why does the DSLAM keep syncing me at the top end of 6000?

I have a funny feeling the BT engineer will turn with his modem and laptop connect it all up to the test socket see the good stats and say it's fine and leave!

On another note I do have video evidence to show him!
      Last edited by acoolwelshbloke; 14-03-07 at 06:43 PM.

2. Advertisement