Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help - I am new

This is a discussion on Please help - I am new within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A friend decided to replace his NTL broadband with Sky. Internet access is fine but he cannot access his email ...

Mackem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Please help - I am new

A friend decided to replace his NTL broadband with Sky. Internet access is fine but he cannot access his email account. He mistakingly thought I could help, and I mistakingly thought I would get some help from Sky.

We have set up his Sky profile but when trying to update his Password it comes back & says that essential fields are missing. They are not.

However, I think the password is accepted in some way because when trying to get into email it spends an awful long time thinking & hanging when the correct password is entered, but rejects an incorrect password very quickly.

Sky promised to ring us back - but after 6 days have not. I guess most of you will not be surprised by that.

Quickly looking at your comments on the forum I suspect that lots of people have had trouble setting up email. Is there a definitive guide on the forum?

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Please help - I am new

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't bother with Sky's portal or their e-mail service, there seem to be pointless complications to it. Far better to set up an independent e-mail account (Yahoo, Hotmail, Google Gmail etc) so that you don't have to change your e-mail address if you change ISP later.

Mackem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many tanks for the replies received. I have to say if it were my account I would strongly take the advice of fihart.

But a point for NewsreadeR. Will the set up information you gave me overcome the problem where email will not let me log in? The set up looks as if it is for a someone who has been able to log in, but then cannot get Outlook Express to work.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

I've copied this from SKys FAQ's for setting up an Outlook Express Account for Sky e-mail.
      If your friend already has an email account he should still be able to receive mail, to send mail he simply has to change the outgoing mail server to smtp.sky.com.

1. Open Outlook Express, click Tools then select Accounts
      2. Click the Mail tab, then click Add and select Mail
      3. The wizard will start. Type in your name then click Next
      4. Enter your email address then click Next
      5. Leave the My Incoming Mail Server is a POP3 Server drop down box as POP3. In Incoming Mail Server enter: pop.sky.com (all lowercase, no spaces). In Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server enter: smtp.sky.com (all lowercase, no spaces).
      6. In the Account Name Box enter the first part of your @sky.com email address (everything before the @ sign). In the Password Box, enter the password for your @sky.com email account, then click Next.
      7. Click Finish
      8. To complete the acount creation process click Tools then select Accounts
      9. Click the Mail tab, then click Properties
      10. Click the My server requires authentication box to place a tick inside. Click OK
      11. Repeat the above process for each mail account you want to set up, including sub accounts. Each sub account will have a different email address and password. If you're having trouble sending email from Outlook Express (or other email software), it may mean you need to switch on SMTP authentication

If he cannot log in to the Sky portal, some people (me) have found it possible to use the Sky supplied username and password to log into your My Sky account, for some reason this kicks the bb one into life.

Sky.com - My Sky

lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Smile Re: Please help - I am new

its cos ur a mackem mate

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is a fair point, maybe if you get back into the premiership you'll regain access

Although lets be honest even if you do you aint staying there

so if thats any reflection even if you do get it working its not gonna work for long.

(I'm sorry... I'll get my coat...)
      My Bot Aint that big

gunnerdon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: milton keynes
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

havent had trouble with e mail other than have to refresh on some mail.
      the sky email help is awfull blame everything on pc or bt or if give them details counteracting thier advice they just ignore me

GedNE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Fihart is right, I never use my ISP emails... ya usually buggered if ya move ISP's.. use Gmail/Yahoo or a free one.. ya have a choice (I prefer Gmail)

I am brand new and this is my first post hear just going through migration period with my ex ISP, Madasafish.