Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow website speeds

This is a discussion on Slow website speeds within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Over the past couple of days I've noticed im not getting very good speeds on my home connection, but only ...

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Slow website speeds

Over the past couple of days I've noticed im not getting very good speeds on my home connection, but only to websites
      My router is syncing at around 40/7.5 and I usually see these speeds consistently.

I tried every speedtest I could find on my PC and they all seem to max out at about 12 down and 6 up (there's an initial boost at the beginning which then levels out), same thing on mobile. Google's own speed test only manages about 3 down.

Now when I connect to a VPN, my speeds return to the capacity of my line, about 39Mb, so im guessing there's some sort of routing issue within sky's network, how can I report this to sky so it gets seen by the right people? I tried explaining to customer services and they tell me to go through the online help and check my line, which I know is fine as I get full speeds when I connect directly to VPN.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Slow website speeds

Forgot to add, when I use non-web services like the Steam desktop client, my speeds reach what you would expect for a 40mb/s connection, it's only web traffic through Sky's network that seems restricted, I've got a speedtest graph as well that shows the initial peak before the speed drops down to the lower rate.

Slow website speeds-screenshot_20200127-115621.jpg

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,220 Times in 2,089 Posts

The issue is likely to be specific to the site you are using.

I've had no issues here with my Internet access, except when I was uploading a video earlier.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

IMHO I would use the VPN all the time, I have found the slight ping increase to be worth it (13ms). The only stuff on my network using raw Sky are guests and TV Catchup/Netflix devices (they do not like VPN IPs). Since switching I no longer have any problems and also benefit from unfettered internet access (I know all ISP's have to block stuff coz GOV, but I don't enjoy the lack of a completed and regularly updated list)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've been able to have a quick look at this tonight, im using a TP-Link VR900 router so the first thing I tried was to swap it out for the Sky Q hub and it seems to be the router causing this, I've factory reset it and made sure it's got the latest firmware but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Looks like there's some sort of QOS going on but I have all that turned off on the router.