Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear Nighthawk D7000

This is a discussion on Netgear Nighthawk D7000 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Just changed over to sky BB and we previously had TalkTalk and as their router WiFi was awful I ...

dannyj1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Netgear Nighthawk D7000

Hi,

Just changed over to sky BB and we previously had TalkTalk and as their router WiFi was awful I bought a Nighthawk D7000. Id still like to use this with the router sky have given us SR203. We have an extension which suffers from poor signal due to a brick wall between the router and the rooms. Before I go and buy some ethernet cable I just wanted some advice on if the following is possible.

Use the Netgear router as the main modem router in the living room. Connect ethernet cable from the netgear router to the SR203 router in the extension rooms. Therefore allowing us to use the normal WiFi from the netgear router in the main rooms but also have better WiFi signal from the Sr203 router in the other rooms?

I have attached a (very poor) skech

Is this the correct way to go about doing this or is there a better way?

Thanks

Netgear Nighthawk D7000-screenshot-2019-12-02-09.34.49.jpg

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7000

I cannot see a problem with that. It is the way I do it. There is a plethora of advice on this board on using a second router as a wifi extender if you can master the awful search facility on this board have a look. I have to say though that using that router as a wifi extender is an expensive way of doing it. Also make sure that the wifi channels are different I have found that they can interfere with each other.

dannyj1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SR203
      Thanks

Thanks Pete, Well I have had the Netgear for a few years so it's resale value is probably minimal and sky gave me the SR203 for free, so it's not actually costing me anymore money other than 15 or so for a roll of ethernet cable.

I just wanted to check this was the correct way of doing it before I did all the work.

Do you use the non sky router as the main one and then the sky given router as your WiFi access point?

Thanks

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

I use the SR102 as my main connection but it is the other side of a wall and, as you have found out, the SR102's wireless is abysmal. I have an older Netgear router that I use as a wifi extender just the other side of the wall. I drilled a hole through my wall at just above skirting level to pass the ethernet cable to the SR102.

I thought you had bought the Netgear specially for the job but if you have had a while then that IS the cheapest way to do it LOL.

rekelin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quite an upgrade from my previous router( a D'link DIR-524 router in use since 2012), and I was not disappointed. I actually prefer a wireless network over a wired one as most of my computing experience on a day-to-day basis is on a laptop. And when you have cables and dongles dangling out, the mobility is restricted to an extent. Hence my quest for a seamless wifi experience router led me to this beast.
      While researching for my new router I narrowed down on Netgear Nighthawk x4S, and TP-Link Archer C2600 - both dual band (2.4+5 GHz) routers that compete in the AC2600 market slab. Both offer 800 Mbps theoretical max thoughput in 2.4GHz and 1733 Mbps in the 5GHz bands. Anything beyond is an overkill, Walmartone because your client(laptop, desktop, tablet, smartphone, smart-TV) would be limited by the capability of the onboard wireless adapter. Here is why:
      (i) The top wireless cards for laptops available today in the market (Intel Wireless AC8265 and Killer Wireless-AC 1535) are both capped at theoretical max throughput of 867 Mbps and 2x2:2 MU-MIMO. Highly likely that your laptop will have a previous gen wireless adapter than these two, which means that it would be a still slower device.
      (ii) The top USB adapters: TP-Link Archer T9UH (4x4:4 - four-transmit x four-receive: quad-stream), ASUS USB-AC68 (3x4:3 - three-transmit x four-receive, tri-stream), D-Link DWA-192 ( 4x4:3 - four-transmit x four-receive: tri-stream), are all limited to AC1900 speeds (600Mpbs on 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on 5GHz band) . The Edimax EW-7833 ( 3x3:3 ) is capped at AC1750 i.e 450Mbps for 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps for 5GHz band.
      Note that the number of spatial streams that can be multiplexed over the air is dependent on the number of transmitting modules.
      (iii) The wifi modules onboard even top-end smartphones will also be no better than 2x2 ac wave2 limited to a max throughput of 867 Mbps.

Keeping this in mind, though there are more capable routers available in the market such as Netgear x8, ASUS RT-AC88U, ASUS -AC5300, the max theoretical throughputs will still be limited by the capability of your wifi clients. The Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 comes at a much cheaper price tag and is not short on features and hardware specs.

Significant Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 features:
      1) Intuitive user interface and easy setup (some ISP providers restrict access to one ethernet MAC address per connection, so while setting up the new router make sure you either use the computer's MAC address, or copy the MAC address from old router to the new router)
      2) Theoretical max throughput of 2600 Mbps (800 + 1733). I use an Edimax EW-7833UAC USB adapter and getting blistering(quite literally as the USB adapter heats up while streaming 1080 movies for hours) fast speeds on my lappy.
      3) Dynamic QoS for optimal bandwidth prioritization by application and device.
      4) Packed with features such as ReadyCLOUD, ReadySHARE printer and vault, Open VPN, Guest Network, and Device Whitelist/Blacklist, secure remote management and remote access of data. Support scheduled backups of your connected devices.
      5) DLNA and USB compatibility for wireless media streaming from USB attached external HDD and/or NAS.
      6) Hardware specs are second to none - Processor: Qualcomm Atheros IPQ8065 (1.7 GHz, 2 cores), Memory: 128 MB flash and 512 MB RAM. In comparison the TP-Link Archer ac2600 has a previous gen Qualcomm IPQ8064 1.4 GHz processor and a flash memory of just 32MB!
      7) 2 USB 3.0 + 1 eSATA ports.
      8) In comparison to other high-end routers, this one is not that heavy/bulky.
      9) Supports the future-proof 160 MHz spatial stream.
      10) Wifi range: I get decent coverage in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz bands in my flat (2000 sqft), so can't really complain.
      11) Configurable in either of Router/Access Point/Bridge modes.
      12) Comes with India specific power adapter.
      Last edited by rekelin; 31-12-19 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling