Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Boost

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Boost within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, ive just been offered (and ive accepted) the new sky hub via broadband boost for free as im ...

xaudiox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Boost

Hi all, ive just been offered (and ive accepted) the new sky hub via broadband boost for free as im having trouble with dsl drops quite frequently over the last month on my sky hub, now i know its not the hub thats the problem because ive tried another sky hub and its still the same but just couldnt turn down the chance to get the new hub.
      Now ive just had an email conformation and read this..

"Our proactive service monitoring will take place each night between midnight and 3am. During this time, your phone line and broadband service may experience an outage of up to 2 minutes. This means you will not be able to make or receive any calls and any care/security alarms connected to the line might not work during this time."

Is this just related to "Sky Broadband Buddy" or is this going to happen regardless as i need a stable connection and not one thats going to drop every night.

Regards, xaudiox

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Boost

It is nothing to do with Sky Broadband Buddy but is part of the boost package. The operative word in, "your phone line and broadband service may experience an outage of up to 2 minutes" is "may". While this is not a definitive answer, as I understand it, a simple line test will be carried out in the early hours of each morning. If this indicates a potential problem a more detailed line test will be made to ascertain whether a problem exists. It is the detailed line test that will interrupt your broadband (and telephone) connection.
      I would check the WAN up-time and d/l speed each morning to check if there has been any interruption. I mention d/l speed as an interruption may not necessarily be caused by line testing. As you have a new router DLM may have intervened to optimize the connection speed. If after two weeks of checking you find the number of drop outs to be unacceptable you should report it to Sky as a fault though quite how they will resolve it I do not know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

xaudiox (28-09-19)

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Other alternative is to consider getting your own modem and monitor your line stats yourself, even if only for a period of time so you can see what your line is doing...

See my links below for what can be achieved...
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

xaudiox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quick update...
      So im still having the odd drop out and sky have said they will send a "SKY" broadband engineer to my premises.
      Ive been with sky broadband for over 10 years and the only other 2 times i have had a problem they have sent an openreach engineer and resolved the problem instantly with a trip to the main cabinet and a line reset.
      What will this Sky engineer be doing exactly? as far as im aware they cant touch anything BT/Openreach related i.e Cabinet or Faceplate so whats the piont?
      Regards, xaudiox.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I believe that some Sky engineers have been licensed by Openreach to perform limited work (such as replacing the master socket) on their equipment though they won't have access to the street cabinets. Increasingly line resets can be triggered remotely provided the cabinet in question is provided with this facility.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

xaudiox (05-10-19)